GEN 2 Weird Sputtering/Ticking noise at mild acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really hope you are right about the IWE hubs, as that seems to be a much quicker fix by the dealer. The only problem with that is that apparently, if i switch to 4WD, it wont make the noise, but it still does for me (Unless its maybe "partially" engaging???).

Yes, I am a Ford Certified Technician. How long as the noise been occurring for? If its been ongoing for a while, it is entirely possible to damage an IWE to the point that it no longer engages (as smurfslayer mentioned). Generally that will result in a pull to one side under acceleration, unless both are failing to engage, at which point you effectively have no power transfer to the front wheels. An exhaust leak from a cracked manifold or loose flange bolt is also possible, just need the dealer to do their job and properly diagnose it.

OP
OP
Walker Mackinnon
Reaction score
Yes, I am a Ford Certified Technician. How long as the noise been occurring for? If its been ongoing for a while, it is entirely possible to damage an IWE to the point that it no longer engages (as smurfslayer mentioned). Generally that will result in a pull to one side under acceleration, unless both are failing to engage, at which point you effectively have no power transfer to the front wheels. An exhaust leak from a cracked manifold or loose flange bolt is also possible, just need the dealer to do their job and properly diagnose it.
It almost sounds like your waste gates on your turbos are chattering open

i first noticed the noise on 2/17/2020. I dont have any pull to either side during acceleration. I am in college and havent been at home where my usual dealer is, and i go to school in Clemson, SC (mildly rural, the dealers are in Greenville over an hour away). But i am going back to Charlotte this Thursday night (2.5 hours of 75mph cruise control). I have an appointment with my usual dealer on friday morning for diagnosis. Will post an update.

John Doe

Reaction score
My truck is making a similar noise but it only does it in 2WD. If I put it in 4A the noise never appears. Does yours make the noise in 4A??/

OP
OP
Walker Mackinnon
Reaction score
My truck is making a similar noise but it only does it in 2WD. If I put it in 4A the noise never appears. Does yours make the noise in 4A??/
Mine still makes the noise in 4 wheel drive, but i did read that if the noise only happens in 2wd like yours, then it is probably bad IWE hubs. its been 2 months for me and the dealer still cant figure it out, its gotten to the point where i got them to agree with me that if anything worse comes out of this, its all under warranty and its on them.

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what was going on with your truck? My 2018 is making a similar noise. What’s odd is when I’m in 4A I can hear the noise the most. It’s still there in 2H but I have to listen closer to it. Can’t decide if it’s an exhaust coming loose, IWE issues, or wastegate rattle.