Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Weird Sputtering/Ticking noise at mild acceleration

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by Walker Mackinnon, Mar 1, 2020.

1. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

Yes, I am a Ford Certified Technician. How long as the noise been occurring for? If its been ongoing for a while, it is entirely possible to damage an IWE to the point that it no longer engages (as smurfslayer mentioned). Generally that will result in a pull to one side under acceleration, unless both are failing to engage, at which point you effectively have no power transfer to the front wheels. An exhaust leak from a cracked manifold or loose flange bolt is also possible, just need the dealer to do their job and properly diagnose it.

2. Sharkus29

Sharkus29 Full Access Member

It almost sounds like your waste gates on your turbos are chattering open

3. Walker Mackinnon

Walker Mackinnon Member

i first noticed the noise on 2/17/2020. I dont have any pull to either side during acceleration. I am in college and havent been at home where my usual dealer is, and i go to school in Clemson, SC (mildly rural, the dealers are in Greenville over an hour away). But i am going back to Charlotte this Thursday night (2.5 hours of 75mph cruise control). I have an appointment with my usual dealer on friday morning for diagnosis. Will post an update.

4. John Doe

John Doe Member

My truck is making a similar noise but it only does it in 2WD. If I put it in 4A the noise never appears. Does yours make the noise in 4A??/

5. Walker Mackinnon

Walker Mackinnon Member

Mine still makes the noise in 4 wheel drive, but i did read that if the noise only happens in 2wd like yours, then it is probably bad IWE hubs. its been 2 months for me and the dealer still cant figure it out, its gotten to the point where i got them to agree with me that if anything worse comes out of this, its all under warranty and its on them.