Weird shake/shudder while decelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maccabee

Reaction score
Hi all, having a weird issue I was hoping to get some input on. Just picked up my Gen 3 about a week and a half ago. Absolutely love it - EXCEPT, there's a strange issue where I get a very distinct shaking/shuddering feel when decelerating. It doesn't happen all the time - probably about one-third of the time when decelerating from 50-ish to 20-ish. It almost feels like it's the transmission downshifting except I'm fairly certain that when it happens, it's always 3 shudders (over the course of 2-3 seconds) each time it happens. Not violent, but very noticeable.

I'm at about 500 miles on the clock so far and did not notice it during the test drive. This is the first performance vehicle I've ever owned so maybe it's just the nature of a more powerful engine (I'm ignorant), or maybe it's the transmission "learning", or maybe I'm just insane. Would appreciate any input. Thank you!

EDIT: One more thing to add. Issue does seem to be largely mitigated when I'm in sport mode.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That doesn't sound normal at all. Especially if it seems less noticeable in sport mode. If it was normal trans behavior it should be MORE noticeable in sport because of the more aggressive shifting patterns in sport mode.

HOLESHOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you heat cycle your rotors? Or break them in.
Or could be when slowing down in traffic the computer is safety breaking. I had to turn that sensor off on my last Raptor.

OP
OP
maccabee

maccabee

Reaction score
Did you heat cycle your rotors? Or break them in.
Or could be when slowing down in traffic the computer is safety breaking. I had to turn that sensor off on my last Raptor.
Appreciate the response. This is actually not happening when I brake though. More like when I’m at speed and letting it coast/slow naturally which is extra strange. Was hoping to avoid taking it in for service but maybe I need to :(

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the response. This is actually not happening when I brake though. More like when I’m at speed and letting it coast/slow naturally which is extra strange. Was hoping to avoid taking it in for service but maybe I need to :(
Watch the gear indicator to see what gear it is in and if the transmission is downshifting as the truck slows. Also watch the RPM's; maybe the torque converter is still locked up and your shudder is the RPM's are getting really low before it finally downshifs.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would try manually shifting the transmission when slowing down and see if the problem persist, if not, maybe there is a reflash or something for the transmission. If this doesn't change the issue, then it maybe another component such as a torque converter. Could also put it in neutral and let it coast as well, just to rule out driveline components. Document everything and have it written down when you take it in for service. Good luck, hope it is nothing.

CoolrainRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm around 700 miles and only see this in Sport mode and its not exactly what you describe. I have to wonder if there is a programming glitch with the settings
Update the string when you find out

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Watch the gear indicator to see what gear it is in and if the transmission is downshifting as the truck slows. Also watch the RPM's; maybe the torque converter is still locked up and your shudder is the RPM's are getting really low before it finally downshifs.
It seems ford decided we dont need the function to see the gear pattern on the gen3. I had a weird shift transition from one gear to the other and was trying to see what shift it was. No dice on the gen3.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am noticing strange behavior from the transmission as well. In normal mode and sport mode it does feel like a hard downshift. My wife even commented on it. I wasn't planning on doing a tune, but if a tranny tune will smooth this thing out, then I might as well. Still under 750 miles, so holding hope that it is "learning" and will smooth out over time.