Weight Reduction potential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Generally speaking, reducing the weight of a vehicle will improve all aspects of its dynamics (acceleration, braking, turning, mileage, wear and tear on bearings etc). It's weird that folks here seem to be "anti" weight reduction just because we are talking about a big, heavy truck - that should mean there is lots of opportunity to cut weight. Sure, it's not a sports car but weight reduction is nothing but beneficial if done without sacrificing other attributes (strength, comfort etc).
I can’t speak for everyone, but I doubt most people are anti weight reduction. I think it is more of a practicality issue.

Example parts that are typically added to make the truck more capable off road are heavier not lighter.

My 16” 3.5’s are much heavier than stock, deavers more heavier than stock, etc.

I doubt most want a heavy truck, it is just not overly easy to reduce the weight on a vehicle like this and keep the capability.

It depends on what the OP is actually after but part of driving a vehicle is the feeling of speed. Going 60 mph in my 2000 ranger feels really fast where as going 60 in the raptor doesn’t feel like anything. The difference is I am much higher from the road in the raptor, much more sidewall, suspension (both travel and damping), etc.

Also the more you dig into the truck the less it looks like a passenger vehicle and the more like a race vehicle. I am hood with that but I would say most aren’t. A set of say PRP alphas are probably a bit lighter than the power seats in the truck as is, but I bet a fair amount of people prefer stock.

Basically it is hard to not sacrifice those items you listed to lose some weight and the weight you lose may be minimal as far as a percentage goes.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2021 Baja 1000 overall winner was a Mason awd Trophy Truck; race weight well over 7000lbs. And that's WITH the lightest, strongest materials available. Complete carbon fiber body, fuel cell, etc. In real-world offroad, Bigger is Better, and the suspension hooks up harder when you've got a full tank.

Attachments

• 20220524_103643.jpg
    20220524_103643.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 15

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 Baja 1000 overall winner was a Mason awd Trophy Truck; race weight well over 7000lbs. And that's WITH the lightest, strongest materials available. Complete carbon fiber body, fuel cell, etc. In real-world offroad, Bigger is Better, and the suspension hooks up harder when you've got a full tank.
Newton presented three laws of motion, see below (hint: it is the second one that is most relevant to the discussion).
  1. An object at rest remains at rest, and an object in motion remains in motion at constant speed and in a straight line unless acted on by an unbalanced force.
  2. The acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the amount of force applied.
  3. Whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite on the first.
Note: Acceleration in this instance doesn't mean just going faster, it relates to the ability to change direction, stop etc.

I'll just leave this here and show myself out. To learn more visit: Newton's Laws of Motion - NASA

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Newton presented three laws of motion, see below (hint: it is the second one that is most relevant to the discussion).
  1. An object at rest remains at rest, and an object in motion remains in motion at constant speed and in a straight line unless acted on by an unbalanced force.
  2. The acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the amount of force applied.
  3. Whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite on the first.
Note: Acceleration in this instance doesn't mean just going faster, it relates to the ability to change direction, stop etc.

I'll just leave this here and show myself out.
The above isn’t saying that it is better to be heavier, he is saying that it is the nature of the beast. Components need to be stout to survive in this environment, unfortunately that makes them heavy.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The above isn’t saying that it is better to be heavier, he is saying that it is the nature of the beast. Components need to be stout to survive in this environment, unfortunately that makes them heavy.

He literally said "Bigger is better". I have to assume he was referring to weight since that was the topic of the entire thread. It's ok though, I have nothing more to add.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the bigger is better I assumed that was in relation to the size of components not weight in general.

I see the room for interpretation.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A wise man once said: "Lighter? Stronger? Or cheaper?... Pick one"... NASCAR legend Richard Petty quoted from in a 1972 interview: "If you're not cheating you're not trying". Funny how two wildly different things can both be correct at the same time.

Last edited:

GetTiTGood

Reaction score
Ohhh lord this is a funny thread...there's obviously 2 different type of enthusiasts here.
The ones who buy a beast like the Raptor because it's an amazing animal from the factory & think messing with it will ruin perfection... and decrease value...more or less.

The other type; started this thread trying to find out if anybody else has performed any type of weight reduction. <---> #meTOO, broh.

I do this on all my cars/trucks. Any weight reduction makes a difference, no matter how negligible the difference...however 600!! Is going to make a noticeable difference. In every aspect possible, especially on a truck that's over 5k lb.
Hope this dude went thru with it and reports back.
...this would be like throwing a 35-50+shot of nitrous on it.

Shoulda done some before & after videos at a track, around a track, etc. Fk. I might have to do it...

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you will see much gain shedding a couple hundred pounds. In a drag race where you have to get all 6000lbs rolling, yes you may shave a tenth, but overall daily driving probably not.
Plus you are already going the wrong direction with tubular front bumper and 37's.. Do you have 3.0 and Deavers? cuz thats also in the +plus weight department.
Too be honest, adding some weight out back has made my truck better off-road. Unless I could completely redesign the truck and shed 1200-1500 lbs, I dont think a couple hundred here or there changes much.If I could I would hang another 2-300lbs a foot past the rear bumper to get weight distribution better..lol
I had a Chevy Silverado extended cab with the low profile ground effects and wide tires that was all the rage in the mid 90's. It was a special order with the 454 and power tune. The original buyer backed out and the dealership put it on the lot for an absolute steal.

I had just came off of a deployment in early 1994 and purchased it. The truck was scary fast and the rear tires would spin when I even thought about using the gas pedal. I had to add 500lbs (ten 50lb bags of sand) to the bed to get good traction. The Chevy handled like shit before I added the weight, rode too rough and the ass end just did what it wanted to do. Once the weight was added, the truck was much easier to drive and the suspension was better. Lighter is not always better.

With my Gen 1 Raptor, I carry a get home bag, tool kit and roadside emergency supplies under a Retrax tonneau cover. It is easily another 100-150lbs.

With the Raptor suspension, I could see going to the extreme on weight reduction being a good way to increase performance, as long as the 4x4 was engaged full time, or having it modded to be an all-wheel drive. I had a Cadillac Escalade that was all-wheel drive and that was a great set up.