Weight Reduction potential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3.0 up front and will do deaver and 3.0 in rear. (realize that will go against me but will improve driving dynamics)
Agree with you on the weight distribution comment, but I'm assuming that dropping 600 lbs from the truck will absolutley improve the characteristics.

Playing devils advocate, instead of adding weight off the rear in your example, taking 500lbs off the front would be even better
500 off the front of a G1 is going to be extremely difficult.
I think once you start going down the list of items you looked at to reduce weight, you will be surprised how much doesn't come off. For example you mentioned intake... Go weigh the stock box, tubing etc. and you will not find a weight savings over an aluminum tube and larger oiled filter. It will be hard to pull 200lb off.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your list of items, the fenders and hood are already fiberglass.

You want weight reduction, but you are running 37" tires. Unsprung weight is a weight multiplier.

OP
OP
bubbarob

bubbarob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your list of items, the fenders and hood are already fiberglass.

You want weight reduction, but you are running 37" tires. Unsprung weight is a weight multiplier.
Negligible weight difference between 37 and 35's, and the wheels are substantially lighter.

Total wheel/tire package is net weight reduction from stock, and a pretty good relative improvement considering what is available.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Negligible weight difference between 37 and 35's, and the wheels are substantially lighter.

Total wheel/tire package is net weight reduction from stock, and a pretty good relative improvement considering what is available.
Personally, I think it still kinda comes back to why you want to reduce the weight. I am not trying to talk you out of it, just looking for more specifics.

As an example, what you are looking for may be something that isn’t controlled by weight or weight may not be the biggest contributing factor.

OP
OP
bubbarob

bubbarob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did someone tell you your truck looks fat? This thread kind of reads like it's about a woman obsessed with diet and weight loss! :imo:
Yep, hurt my trucks feelings.

Thanks for the contribution

I'm done with this thread. Thanks for the replies from those that contributed. Going to keep pushing the strategy on my own.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What was the weight difference?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's for braking distance, buy a set of Alcons. If it's for acceleration, buy a supercharger. If it's because your Raptor doesn't fit in the garage, you need a bigger garage. If it's because your friend called you fat, then (according to Vogue) you should try dresses with vertical lines. Myself, I'm old, fat, but I got a bigass garage.
Did someone tell you your truck looks fat? This thread kind of reads like it's about a woman obsessed with diet and weight loss! :imo:

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, reducing the weight of a vehicle will improve all aspects of its dynamics (acceleration, braking, turning, mileage, wear and tear on bearings etc). It's weird that folks here seem to be "anti" weight reduction just because we are talking about a big, heavy truck - that should mean there is lots of opportunity to cut weight. Sure, it's not a sports car but weight reduction is nothing but beneficial if done without sacrificing other attributes (strength, comfort etc).