Weekend Discussion: Lets hear what you have to say Front vs Rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to the front suspension and rear suspension.

If you could only choose one, would you upgrade the front or rear first.

Second, which works harder in the desert when your plowing through the rough stuff

Thought it would be a fun little weekend discussion piece.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My decisions are based on cost.

I think the front is more likely to leave you stranded, so do the front.

By cost for a 2019:
Front springs
Rear springs
Front tie rods
Rear bump stops
Torque arm
Camber lock plates or adjuster plates
Upper control arms

your mileage may be different.

OP
OP
Halo Raptor

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I went with ICON leafs and ICON bumps first. Havent touched the shocks yet other than a RPG collar. When im in the desert, sometimes its hard for me to tell in a big truck which is working harder the front or rear

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know others have a different opinion, but I've always worked on the rear suspension first on my trucks, reason being the sprung to unsprung weight ratio in the rear is the main cause for ride issues. An empty bed with springs meant to carry some weight is hard to fix with just shocks which is why I went with Deavers and a bump stop kit...
Heres another issue...the truck needs a balanced suspension package frt and rear...say you do a 18" long travel kit up front with C/O and by-pass shocks...and a bone stock rear end...you're not going much faster in the dirt...back end can't keep up with the front...

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not done either on my truck yet but will probably do rear first. I can see why taller front springs might be some people’s first suspension mod but I am happy with the rake. I think Deavers in the rear would help the handling all around more.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got in on the group buy for the KHC Torque Arm. IMHO no other mod is required on the truck. EVERYTHING else suspension wise is an individual pursuit of something else that is specific to that individual's taste or a feel good mod. Practically and bang for buck speaking the Torque arm is the best mod suspension wise because wheel hop/axle wrap is common to ALL solid axle rear ends and the benefits are noticeable in a wide range of driving situations. Truthfully it is an oversight that Ford doesn't include a torque arm from the factory.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know others have a different opinion, but I've always worked on the rear suspension first on my trucks, reason being the sprung to unsprung weight ratio in the rear is the main cause for ride issues. An empty bed with springs meant to carry some weight is hard to fix with just shocks which is why I went with Deavers and a bump stop kit...
Heres another issue...the truck needs a balanced suspension package frt and rear...say you do a 18" long travel kit up front with C/O and by-pass shocks...and a bone stock rear end...you're not going much faster in the dirt...back end can't keep up with the front...
The Raptor is my first pickup. I noticed pretty immediately that the rear end needed help. After some research it became apparent better rear springs were the answer. I went with Deavers and the SVC bump kit. Transformed the truck, night and day difference. If you compare the springs side by side it’s easy to see why - the OEM springs are garbage and terribly over sprung. There are 4 leafs. The Deavers have 10 or 12 I think. They also help a a lot with axel wrap, not as much as a torque arm but certainly miles better than stock.

After doing the rear I noticed that the front needed help, it’s been. year and a half and still the front is stock. I just bought Fox 3.0s for the front, found a newish set for a good deal. I’m also going to do icon UCAs while i’m at it. At some later time, I will get the matching rear 3.0s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chimchim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm here to see what others have done and follow suit based on real world insight - rear end does need help.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear leafs made a huge diffrence. I got icons and eibachs up front. would definitely do rear leafs 1st if I had to do it over again.

OP
OP
Halo Raptor

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I found by fixing the leaf problem in the rear and adding the bumps, I was able to handle batter in the dirt. The first time I took the truck out stock, I thought something was wrong, the ass end was all over the place. Felt like I was on ice. It actually scared the shit out of me. This told me the front was much better than the rear in the stock form. Now what the rear is done (minus new shocks) in my truck, I have notices two things. The first is with no weight in the back (bed) my truck hops a lot. So thinking or adding the spare and pro eagle jack behind the axle like JDS customs kit allows. Second is the front shocks now seemed soft and I think overagegerated the dive. So I went the cheap route first and put in RPG collars. I made a pretty good difference for the price, good bang for the buck. Truck felt much better. Until I can afford new shocks and ICON UCA's thats it for me.