Weak Points in these Engines Once Modified - 10 Speed Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just curious as to some of the weak points in these engines once you start tuning them.

My plan is to do Cobb FMIC, CAI, DP's, Exhaust and their access port stage II.

I do see a couple of options for turbo upgrades, but that would be further down the line.

Has anyone run into issues like bent rods etc when running higher boost?

I know the Garett new G series turbos are awesome and would be great to throw a set on this motor. But would also like a direct bolt on, something like what Pure Turbo sells.

Also, is the 10 speed auto like the one the use in the SD? Can it handle the extra TQ?

TaylorK

Reaction score
Not so sure about the weak point of the engine but I know for a fact the trans is more than capable. The 10 speed is also used in the zl1 camaro so your good. I know that ford has the engine tuned up pretty good so there’s not much room for added power. After awhile your going to need new turbos if you want significant power changes.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the exact differences between the ZL1's 10L90 transmission, but it's stronger than the 10L80 (Chevy's version of the 10R80). It's made to handle more torque. With that being said, I know of some high power builds in the Mustang world that use the 10R80 and it seems to hold up well. I don't think the transmission would be a problem.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just curious as to some of the weak points in these engines once you start tuning them.

My plan is to do Cobb FMIC, CAI, DP's, Exhaust and their access port stage II.

I do see a couple of options for turbo upgrades, but that would be further down the line.

Has anyone run into issues like bent rods etc when running higher boost?

I know the Garett new G series turbos are awesome and would be great to throw a set on this motor. But would also like a direct bolt on, something like what Pure Turbo sells.

Also, is the 10 speed auto like the one the use in the SD? Can it handle the extra TQ?
Goose tune is ALOT better than Cobb stage two map! I’ve ran both a the goose tune is worth every penny!!