GEN 1 Weak CV Axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is a “suspension” question so correct me if I’m wrong...I’ll have to postpone my slappy suspension adventure to address the latest misstep...

Tore a CV boot and broke the CV axle. Limped home. Looked at replacements; RCV is pricey, anything in between that is stronger than stock but not $3k?

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen anything stronger than oem other than RCV. How did it break? How long was the boot torn before it broke? Never really hear about cv actually breaking, mostly torn cv boots which cause all the grease to come out making the cv fail.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so it seems Rockauto GSP’s or OEM. Any difference really other than the GSP is half the price?

Should I just replace both side while I’m at it? Is it weird to have an OEM driver and an GSP passenger?

Eventually will get to the RCV’s just need to get rolling again.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen anything stronger than oem other than RCV. How did it break? How long was the boot torn before it broke? Never really hear about cv actually breaking, mostly torn cv boots which cause all the grease to come out making the cv fail.

100% agree. Shaft didn’t break, I misspoke.

Did a few hours of off-roading and noticed CV boot was torn after. Joint is completely shot it seems. Looks like the cage and race are completely gone.

This beggars another question: do IWE delete while I’m at it, or will the delete cause more failures since it is engaging the axle at all times?

EEC4B4E7-2C6A-4237-8844-588B4588BEDF.jpeg
E25CC060-C97A-4DF6-B3DA-7B3FBCC832CF.jpeg

Ben Lucas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run dorman iwe deletes
And Autozone cv’s. Just make sure the boots are neoprene. They withstand the heat better.
I’ve had no issues with the truck being deleted.
The dorman deletes have a grease zerk just grease a little every oil change.

Autozone cv are lifetime warranty too.

oem are stronger but the boots seem to fail often. I so thought I’ll give a cheap cv a run and see if they hold up.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run dorman iwe deletes
And Autozone cv’s. Just make sure the boots are neoprene. They withstand the heat better.
I’ve had no issues with the truck being deleted.
The dorman deletes have a grease zerk just grease a little every oil change.

Autozone cv are lifetime warranty too.

oem are stronger but the boots seem to fail often. I so thought I’ll give a cheap cv a run and see if they hold up.

Thanks. It’s helpful to have firsthand knowledge instead of people saying: “you should get RCV - too expensive?! - shouldn’t have bought so much truck!” :p:rolleyes:

Looking to run the budget and see how it compares to OEM. Not all things are worth their price tag, although you get what you pay for. FML. :facepalm:

Ben Lucas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t beat rcv best out there
But cv’s are easy to change if you break one. I personally bring my old oem ones if I go hard wheeling. Just in case. Cause I don’t trust the Autozone ones yet.
Fingers cross they have been holding so far.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t beat rcv best out there
But cv’s are easy to change if you break one. I personally bring my old oem ones if I go hard wheeling. Just in case. Cause I don’t trust the Autozone ones yet.
Fingers cross they have been holding so far.

Great advice, thanks. I said I’d go easy. That didn’t last long. I don’t think I went too crazy but...Glad I made it back.

Apparently I need to trailer the Raptor. Isn’t that the antithesis of a Raptor?

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ben Lucas, I hope you have better luck with AutoZone parts than I have. I've been burned too many times to ever go back there for anything but chemicals & (name brand) filters. Free replacement of the part is hardly a conciliation when the labor to install is extensive!

That said, I bought a 1/2 shaft from O Rieleys after my misadventures with torn SDHQ CV boots. It was a Precision brand shaft. As far as I can tell, it appears to be a well made shaft. Dont remember the cost, but it was cheaper than OEM and lifetime warantee of the shaft & boots, they do have neoprene boots too.

Oh BTW, I have a couple of new SDHQ boots if anyone needs a funnel. That's about all they are good for!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well lemme tell ya about a CV breaking on a Raptor less than a year old (this was 2012). It wasn't torn first either:
photo-34-jpg.11238

I'm currently running one of the cheap ones from Rock Auto. I just beat the crap out of it for five days in the sand and it actually hung in there.

Reminder, if you replace the axle, replace the seal while you are at it and locktite that axle nut.