Waterproof, secure tonneau cover - is DB the only option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gxgn

Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve been reading a lot of treads on this forum and watching YT reviews and it’s not clear to me - if my goal was to have a a secure and dry bed when offroading is Diamondback the only option?

I looked at Renegade and some reviews talked about water leaking, poor customer service and insane lead times. Retrax pro doesn’t appear to be that secure or water resistant either although it has a nice look and can accommodate accessories well.
Lomax&Weathertec aluminum trifold also have mixed reviews on security.

Lastly, does anyone know if a diamondback cover made for 2015-2020 regular F150 would fit a gen 3 Raptor? (there is one for sale not too far from me)

mgkdds

Reaction score
Im not 100% sure but I would say yes it will fit.
Ive had a bakflip from 2013 gen 1 raptor to 2016 king ranch and finally moved to my gen 2 2020 raptor. When my 2023 gen 3 comes in im having my dealer move it over as well.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retrax is expensive and does not live up to the hipe about waterproofing or security. I have had a terrible experience trying to keep rain out, called customer service, went back to the dealer/installer, all to no avail. Wish I had spent $2k on something else now.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve been reading a lot of treads on this forum and watching YT reviews and it’s not clear to me - if my goal was to have a a secure and dry bed when offroading is Diamondback the only option?

I looked at Renegade and some reviews talked about water leaking, poor customer service and insane lead times. Retrax pro doesn’t appear to be that secure or water resistant either although it has a nice look and can accommodate accessories well.
Lomax&Weathertec aluminum trifold also have mixed reviews on security.

Lastly, does anyone know if a diamondback cover made for 2015-2020 regular F150 would fit a gen 3 Raptor? (there is one for sale not too far from me)
I will measure my bed and cover in a minute and you can compare to your truck.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cover and inside bed measurements.

Attachments

• CD7A7BA5-585E-4D7A-B680-75B3388FE8D4.jpeg
    CD7A7BA5-585E-4D7A-B680-75B3388FE8D4.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 20
  • D932BA1C-C3ED-45FB-A5F2-A712767F93F0.jpeg
    D932BA1C-C3ED-45FB-A5F2-A712767F93F0.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 440F65EE-6E46-4333-B468-6B50236AFCFF.jpeg
    440F65EE-6E46-4333-B468-6B50236AFCFF.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 19
  • AE4D3B78-3329-47D1-B60C-A852D4DA4667.jpeg
    AE4D3B78-3329-47D1-B60C-A852D4DA4667.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 20

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retrax is expensive and does not live up to the hipe about waterproofing or security. I have had a terrible experience trying to keep rain out, called customer service, went back to the dealer/installer, all to no avail. Wish I had spent $2k on something else now.
I haven't complained to anybody, but my Retrax let's more water in than I was expecting. I installed it myself following their directions. Not sure if adjustments can be made or not.

deucedevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bakflip Revolver X4S has been the best cover I've ever used. Off road for 5000 miles with the family this summer through Idaho, WY, SD, ND, Montana with tons of rain. Almost no water inside other than one corner that had lost a plastic cap. Bakflip sent me 5 extras and popped right back on.

We did take on an ungodly amount of mud in Grand Teton when my tailgate unknowingly popped open for about 5 miles in torrential downpour and mud. It was a damn mess.

I also think the security factor is not Diamondback level but I feel items are super secure. We were packed with expensive inflatable paddle boards, golf clubs, etc. and never worried about it being accessed.

I plan to put Billie Bars on and will be mounting a RoofNest Condor Overland. The Billie Bars will require me to cut a small section of channel with the likelihood of some water getting in. The reason I like this set up though is I can easily winch off the bars with RTT attached, roll back the X4S and have full truck bed access when needed.

Note: All of this is on 21 lifted F150 presently as I await shipment of Blend Date 8/16/22 MY22.

Reaction score
I haven't complained to anybody, but my Retrax let's more water in than I was expecting. I installed it myself following their directions. Not sure if adjustments can be made or not.
It's not you. It's garbage. I had mine professionally installed and had the same issue. Retrax kept telling the installer to adjust different things, add seals, etc but it never fixed anything bc it leaks through the slats in the middle of it. Then they had the nerve to say that I was out of warranty and couldn't return even though the issue started in the warranty period and the installer tried fixing it multiple times. I had to go to war with them on social media to get my money back. They only cared bc I was costing them future sales. They didn't even want the cover back to see what was wrong with it. They told the installer to throw it in the trash.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m extremely pleased with my Retrax XR. It feels very secure and almost no water gets in—the only reason anything might get wet is because of the way the bed and the tailgate fit together at the bottom.