Water leak - Front Passenger area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD06

Reaction score
Gents, I have the same problem. Passenger side floor carpet is wet. There was condensation on the bottom of the Weather tech floor mat that's in contact with the carpet. The carpet now has a mildew smell...… Yay. I lifted the carpet up and there's a good amount of water under the carpet. I will be bring it back to dealer tomorrow. The truck is 2 months old, and just broke 1000 miles. I do not have the sunroof, just the standard plain roof.
I did see some videos of the Sirus roof mounted antennas have leaks on other vehicles but mounted in same area. the water wicks down the cable thru the A pillar onto the passenger floor. This is really messed up.

Blee22

Reaction score
I have this same problem occurring as well. 2018 Supercrew built 4/25 with 2900 miles on it. I have brought the truck in twice to the dealer at this point. I first noticed water in the front passenger footwell. After further investigation, I noticed the rear carpet was wet as well. I brought the truck in to the dealer who blew out the AC drain line and shampooed/dried out the carpet. That was the beginning of July. 2 weeks later, I noticed the carpet in the rear of the carb and the front passenger footwell was soaked again and had mold growing. I took a few pictures and took it back to the dealer. They had it for a week. They said the seal for the windshield on the passenger side was sealed incorrectly. They had their window guy come and remove the windshield and reseal it. Then they replaced the whole carpet. I come to find today, after it rained the past couple of days, that the rear carpet is soaked again but the front passenger footwell is bone dry. I'm calling the dealer first thing in the morning as this is utterly frustrating at this point and a $70K truck shouldn't be leaking water like this. Anyone have any advice on how to handle this with the dealer? Could this be warranted under lemon law? I love the truck but this is getting to be absurd.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem on a 2005 Mustang and a 2010 BMW, I'm not saying it is the cause of your problem but something to look at. First time it happened my car was parked with the nose slightly higher as in a driveway. As I backed out one morning after a heavy rain I heard water sloshing, and I came level and shifted into forward gear I heard the water spilling, just as I applied throttle the spilling sound was significant and I stopped immediately. But maybe a quart of water had dumped into the passenger footwell.

If you park under trees or just have a lot of leaves on the vehicle the fresh-air vents (usually under the rear lip of the hood) can get clogged and cause a significant amount of water to accumulate when it rains. The first time I cleaned it out it was kinda nasty (wet and partially decayed leaves), but I made a habit of cleaning that out every other month or so and there was not enough accumulation to get too ugly.

Definitely worth looking at, but then again I'd think a dealership would know and check so maybe not.

Blee22

Reaction score
Welp, dropped off the truck for a third time at the dealer today to see if they can find where the leak is coming from. They also told me to give Ford Customer Service a call to escalate the issue more. Hoping they find the problem this time.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I have this same problem occurring as well. 2018 Supercrew built 4/25 with 2900 miles on it. I have brought the truck in twice to the dealer at this point. I first noticed water in the front passenger footwell. After further investigation, I noticed the rear carpet was wet as well. I brought the truck in to the dealer who blew out the AC drain line and shampooed/dried out the carpet. That was the beginning of July. 2 weeks later, I noticed the carpet in the rear of the carb and the front passenger footwell was soaked again and had mold growing. I took a few pictures and took it back to the dealer. They had it for a week. They said the seal for the windshield on the passenger side was sealed incorrectly. They had their window guy come and remove the windshield and reseal it. Then they replaced the whole carpet. I come to find today, after it rained the past couple of days, that the rear carpet is soaked again but the front passenger footwell is bone dry. I'm calling the dealer first thing in the morning as this is utterly frustrating at this point and a $70K truck shouldn't be leaking water like this. Anyone have any advice on how to handle this with the dealer? Could this be warranted under lemon law? I love the truck but this is getting to be absurd.
Check the cab vent behind the rear seat. I have read reports where that was not attached and allowing water in.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

There is one on each side. If the inner and outer pieces are not assembled correctly they will leak.

attachment.jpg

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue

I noticed that my carpeting was wet on the passenger side front and back following a couple pretty mild storms we had in SoCal back in March 2018. I took it in to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the leak problem. I took my truck back home and pull up some of the carpeting on the floor and back wall and you could see water drops dripping down from the back part of the truck. I videoed everything and took the truck back immediately. They took it back and said they found water coming in through the rear vents. They replaced all of the carpeting on the floor and back of the cab due to the mildew smell. They pulled my bed off, replaced and resealed both rear vents. I feel like water was also coming in through the back window, but they said they fixed the problem. We'll see. First car/truck I've had that's leaked from rain.

BrettLF

Reaction score
I am currently going through the same process with the dealer. I had popped the Ford Performance cover off the front passenger side door sill to run some wiring and the wiring throughout the wire trough in the door sill was completely submerged in water. WOW!

This was from sitting in drive way during a rain storm we had. I was in that door sill before so knew it was dry before this happened. Truck was parked very slightly downhill so had a feeling it had to be coming from the rear somewhere. I checked rear door sill and had a little water. The rear carpet on passenger side was pretty saturated underneath. So pulled the rear mat out popped the seat down and checked the rear passenger side cabin vent. The cabin vent was not clipped in all the way and was leaking a little.

After clipping it in the best i could decided to blast water all over the back of the truck and water started filling up in the wire trough again. Brought to dealer and at first after there testing the said it was the rear window seal in passenger side lower corner just pouring in. Had tech come in to pull and reseal window and said that was not the issue.

The tech said the seal on the lower drivers side of the power sliding rear glass was messed up bad and water was coming in there and running down the track of the window to passenger side and pouring down the back inside of the truck. They have everything pulled out in rear, carpet dried and deodorized " supposedly " and currently waiting for new glass to come in. To say the very least i am not happy at all for a vehicle of this price with less than 3000 miles on it and filling up with water. I know things happen but do a little search and this sounds like it happens way to often.

Anyway with any luck hopefully this fixes the issue.

Attachments

• Water in trough.jpg
    Water in trough.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Blee22

Reaction score
I am currently going through the same process with the dealer. I had popped the Ford Performance cover off the front passenger side door sill to run some wiring and the wiring throughout the wire trough in the door sill was completely submerged in water. WOW!

This was from sitting in drive way during a rain storm we had. I was in that door sill before so knew it was dry before this happened. Truck was parked very slightly downhill so had a feeling it had to be coming from the rear somewhere. I checked rear door sill and had a little water. The rear carpet on passenger side was pretty saturated underneath. So pulled the rear mat out popped the seat down and checked the rear passenger side cabin vent. The cabin vent was not clipped in all the way and was leaking a little.

After clipping it in the best i could decided to blast water all over the back of the truck and water started filling up in the wire trough again. Brought to dealer and at first after there testing the said it was the rear window seal in passenger side lower corner just pouring in. Had tech come in to pull and reseal window and said that was not the issue.

The tech said the seal on the lower drivers side of the power sliding rear glass was messed up bad and water was coming in there and running down the track of the window to passenger side and pouring down the back inside of the truck. They have everything pulled out in rear, carpet dried and deodorized " supposedly " and currently waiting for new glass to come in. To say the very least i am not happy at all for a vehicle of this price with less than 3000 miles on it and filling up with water. I know things happen but do a little search and this sounds like it happens way to often.

Anyway with any luck hopefully this fixes the issue.

That sounds exactly like the problem that I am having in my truck. Less than 3000 miles as well. It's now at the dealer for the 3rd time. I told them to check everything in the rear: moonroof drain tubes, cab vents, rear glass and window. I hope they figure it out fast. Also called Ford Customer Service who escalated the case with the Regional Service Manager who is supposed to give me a call.

Glad they found your problem!

BrettLF

Reaction score
Glad they found your problem!

Still waiting for my truck at the moment. They found the one problem i hope that's the "only problem". I surely hope they find and fix your issue as that has got to be really frustrating having it to the dealer 2-3 times already and having the same issue.

Njraptorfan

Reaction score
Had same issues with wife’s explorer, turned out be check valves under front wheel wells,partially clogged would drain when tested.hard rain would overcome drain leak into passenger side floor pan clogged up with sand dirt,cleaned retested seems ok now,I don’t know if our trucks have same check valve system for sunroof drains .