Wastegate rattle fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

as115

Reaction score
I’ve had many issues with my cam phasers and watergate rattle. Truck just had the newest cam phaser upgrade done last month and that has fixed the cam phaser issue for now. I still was having rattle on startup from my wastegate. Ford kept telling me there was nothing they could do for it. I stumbled on a video of a guy buying some springs from Lowe’s. I gave it a try and sure as shit, it fixed the rattle. Here is the video link…

Last edited:

DJ NeX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the same fix. Fixed rattle and seems like the engine is running a little smoother as well.

younganddumb

Reaction score
My raptors at 75k miles and I've been hearing this every morning, annoying as hell especially when I want to let other people listen to it when I cold start it, though the issue was the cam phasers and a local car care place said it was the wastegate and of course they did nothing to help fix it, I do have extended warranty I'm not sure if this would help cover anything related to this but I'm going to go ahead and try this spring trick and see if it helps

Always thought it was slower than it should be and this seems like a decent explanation for a slower 0-60 time due to the bleeding of air if anyone knows anything else please let me know. Thanks

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mine did it since i can remember from a cold start, and then all of a sudden, boom its gone. now its permanently gone since i put the springs on... so much nicer..

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also have it , but I haven't done anything yet, what could be the problem if we don't put this spring?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also have it , but I haven't done anything yet, what could be the problem if we don't put this spring?

metal parts clanging together isnt good for anything... but mostly the nasty sound coming out of it is why i did it..

i suspect the electronic wastegate does not hold the gate closed until some parameter is met. maybe its for warm up, maybe its just computer control that needs a little tweak, either way, sounds like crap and its easily repaired with some cheap springs..