Washed Wrong For Years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's the link between car washes and tinted windows? The windows are tinted on the inside of the glass, so unless you're spraying the interior of the truck, it shouldn't make a difference, right? Or am I missing something?

Glass cleaners with ammonia like Windex will damage tint. But I have yet to encounter a decent car wash that doesn't know this and use products that are perfectly safe for tint.

Eyespyautomotive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think its wrong if it works for you. I have also watched alot of these detailing guys on youtube, some are really over the top. Maybe out west in dry climates its cool, but all I know is in Michigan, If i spent that amount of time detailing my car or truck, it would be ruined in a day or two by rain or snow. Lots of wasted effort. I never understood the concept of foaming the entire vehicle down first, seems to me by the time I got around the entire thing, the suds would be dried up. And busting out a powerwasher for most washes is overkill when im just removing some bugs and road dust.

Ive been detailing all my daily cars and my classics for 35 years and always get compliments doing it the old way. But, I have implemented some things that make sense and improve my efficiency for the wash and save me time. I use a bucket on casters and a brush with an extended handle. I have a grit guard in the bucket bottom. Switched all my car towels to microfiber. Use quality car soaps. Blow out gaps and cracks with my cordless leaf blower. I claybar in the spring and it helps me maintain all summer. Recently been trying alot of the highly hydrophobic waxes/coatings, Mothers CMX is my new favorite.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought it was common knowledge the ammonia based cleaners and interior window tints.
Somebody said they avoided car washes with tinted windows, not sure what that connection was?
I prefer to keep my doors closed at the car wash.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's a good quality tint and applied right Windex won't damage the tint.
I've too many times the tint guys spray the shit out the tint when applying removing all the glue.

Johnfaeglasgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I experimented with ceramic coating on my wife’s Yukon XL before I attack the Raptor... Damn, that’s a lot of work!
Foam canon with Chemical Guys stuff, two-bucket wash, dry with chamois, once-over with Chemical Guys Wipeout, buffed out some fine scratches and marks with Griots Correcting cream and my new Griots DA polisher, Wipeout again, one coat of CQuartz UK3.0 and rest...

Will try another coat of the ceramic tomorrow and then seal...

First time I’ve tried detailing a vehicle to this extent and I’m amazed how good it looks already!
20 model with 2,000 miles and I’m amazed how many areas of the paint looked like shit when looking real close. Guess black paint is famous for that though. Little annoyed the dealer must’ve touched up painted a couple of spots before we bought it even though it only had 3 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go the obsessed garage way setup with Kranzle, Mosmatic, etc...

DDP

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great perspectives from everyone. I'm kind of the mindset that a lot of the detailing techniques are to some degree over the top and not needed. But this is my first Raptor and first vehicle where I really care how it looks. Most of my other vehicles have just been conveyances to get from point A to Point B. So while some of the things may not be needed, I am having fun trying the various steps. For this latest wash, I thoroughly rinsed the car completely with my pressure washer. Then I hooked up the foam cannon and sprayed the entire Raptor down. I let the foam sit on the Raptor for about 2 minutes. Then I rinsed everything off again with the pressure washer. I have to say, it did look fairly clean without putting a hand on it. Especially the wheels. Then I washed the entire vehicle by hand. I had to put up a canopy to help keep the direct sunlight off of the Raptor. Put some shine on the tires. Then I decided to put another coat of Gtechnique C2V3 on the Raptor since it's been about 3 months now since the last coating. I think the truck came out great!! Hopefully the rain stays away for several days now!!

Rap2.jpg

Rap1.jpg

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great perspectives from everyone. I'm kind of the mindset that a lot of the detailing techniques are to some degree over the top and not needed. But this is my first Raptor and first vehicle where I really care how it looks. Most of my other vehicles have just been conveyances to get from point A to Point B. So while some of the things may not be needed, I am having fun trying the various steps. For this latest wash, I thoroughly rinsed the car completely with my pressure washer. Then I hooked up the foam cannon and sprayed the entire Raptor down. I let the foam sit on the Raptor for about 2 minutes. Then I rinsed everything off again with the pressure washer. I have to say, it did look fairly clean without putting a hand on it. Especially the wheels. Then I washed the entire vehicle by hand. I had to put up a canopy to help keep the direct sunlight off of the Raptor. Put some shine on the tires. Then I decided to put another coat of Gtechnique C2V3 on the Raptor since it's been about 3 months now since the last coating. I think the truck came out great!! Hopefully the rain stays away for several days now!!

View attachment 129748

View attachment 129749
If you are using pH neutral soap in your foam, then foam it good, let it sit, then use a 2 bucket wash to agitate the surface a bit. Leaving the foam on thr truck helps lubricate making the hand wash with microfiber mitt less abrasive to the clear coat. It should not spot with pH neutral soap.

Spray off using pressure washer then hit it with air blower. Most of the water will come off and you will need little wipe down with a micro towel.

The air blower also speeds up the drying and you wont have to work against the sun drying and potentially leaving spots.

This method has worked good for me.

Watch "Kranzle with PF22 & Adam's Mega Foam 2019 Raptor" on YouTube

DDP