Was the Gen 1 Raptor When New Also Above MSRP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I first saw a Raptor back in 2011 or thereabouts, I may be off a year, I fell in love. I looked at it every time one would pass and dreamed how one day I'd own one. I knew nothing about it other than it looked like the Tonka toys I played with as a kid and had to have it.

Fast forward to when we are *****, circa 2015 or so, and I come to find it's no longer being made.

When the Gen2 came out I leaped on it. After 10 months I moved on, back to a sedan ('18 Panamera which bored the crap out of me). When the '19 came out, I was ready to dive back in and I did.

My real question, as the topic header indicates, is to educate me on how "hot" or not the Gen1 was when it first came out and for every year it was produced. Were dealers demanding over sticker as they did for the first two years of the Gen2?

Was the Gen1 made in limited numbers? It sure is limited now.

Thank you.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the Gen 1’s were/are screaming hot. I have a ‘12 screw. There were just over 11k of them made. Somewhere on this forum is a thread with production numbers for each year.

Due to the limited production, prices were well over sticker for the Gen 1’s. The Gen 2’s are being made in far greater numbers, so most sales now are at or below MSRP.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes the Gen 1’s were/are screaming hot. I have a ‘12 screw. There were just over 11k of them made. Somewhere on this forum is a thread with production numbers for each year.

Due to the limited production, prices were well over sticker for the Gen 1’s. The Gen 2’s are being made in far greater numbers, so most sales now are at or below MSRP.

To add to Jonny's comments, the Gen 1 was limited in production and belonged to the now defunct SVT program that kept all of the serial numbers and build info seperate from the 300,000 F150's that are built each year. The seperate program made them feel a little more special.
The Gen 2 is made/ordered the same as any F150 SE (King Ranch, Platinum, Raptor) They will pretty much make as many as people order and dont limit the production run. They are also not SVT or have a VIN number that designates it belongs to any limited group.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there were several dealerships selling above msrp. and they would sit on them for a long time waiting for the sucker to come in and buy it. but there were also several dealerships selling just above invoice pricing. thousands of us purchased at slightly above invoice saving about 4-5k off msrp. i purchased 2 trucks one at $250 over invoice and one at $450 over invoice. the 2nd gen was harder to get near invoice at the beginning because once the raptor became so popular, dealerships jumped on the "im going to **** you" bandwagon even though ford said anyone who wanted a raptor would get a raptor. now since the gen 2 is so abundant, pricing has come down for them

D

Deleted member 12951

Yep, I paid $300 over invoice for my GEN1 or about $5k under sticker. Most places around me were selling at sticker and wouldn’t budge, hence why I went out of state. The deals were when you ordered and waited, not ones on their lots.

GEN2 seems more like a trim package now with no limited production.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before the Gen1 arrived, was there the usual rumors , spy shots, etc? Was it known long in advance it was coming? Why did the stop production so soon if it was such a hot selling item?

Last edited:

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All my local dealers in Northern NV wanted 5k above near the end of 2014 production. I was lucky enough to find a dealer near San Jose that gave me a pretty good deal.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before the Gen1 arrived, was there the usual run outs, spy shots, etc? Was it known long in advance it was coming? Why did the stop production so soon if it was such a hot selling item?
Ford showed off the Raptor at the Auto show the year before production started.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford showed off the Raptor at the Auto show the year before production started.
Was it basically the production version or quite a bit different?

Hope you kind gents don’t mind my sincere questions.