Was Running Fine Yesterday…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Batteries are actually one of the most common failures on new vehicles across the industry. There are only a couple of manufacturers that make them, so they are just relabeled by brand.

Start by checking the voltage across the terminals with a volt meter. A normal reading is 12.6. Any less than 12V and the battery is discharged.

The error messages are certainly concerning. However, sometimes a malfunction in one control module tends to make other modules downstream puke. My 2018 has been "healthy" since birth. (Knock on wood) The more I read about the Gen 3's, the more skeptical I get with Ford's post covid QC.

While the new vehicle is a ’system’ of components, a defective battery can easily pass initial tests and then degrade quickly. IF the battery ends up being the culprit here, I’d caution against blaming Ford for that failure at least. While I agree generally that the covid era and post covid QA and QC is down, let’s reserve judgment.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The more I read about the Gen 3's, the more skeptical I get with Ford's post covid QC.
Be aware of sampling bias. Infant mortality of parts makes failure rate higher immediately post production. Then it declines until parts start wearing out, when it rises again. Since all gen 3s on the road are recently made, you'd expect a higher failure rate than you would when a large portion of the fleet is older. You saw the same thing with the TRX, on top of the egregious errors ...

OP
OP

Reaction score
Fixed…at least for now! First of all, many thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. It is very much appreciated! Took the battery to O’Reilly’s and had the battery checked. Charge was too low to say whether or not battery was bad…guy said it would have to charge to some level first. I said okay and went ahead and purchased a new battery. Brought it back, installed it and presto! All is good. O’Reilly’s guy just called me and said battery charged and turned out to be “good,” I guess meaning no dead cells?
My question now is wondering if something is draining the battery and only a matter of time until this new battery experiences the same? I used to have a Range Rover and I remember the sales guy saying not to leave the key in the vehicle all the time…I’ve left the key in the Raptor since I got it, a couple of weeks now. If that’s no big deal, do ya’ll think I should still take it in to the dealership (low confidence value with them…hence I purchased elsewhere) and tell them what happened…or just wait and see? Thanks again for any input.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fixed…at least for now! First of all, many thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. It is very much appreciated! Took the battery to O’Reilly’s and had the battery checked. Charge was too low to say whether or not battery was bad…guy said it would have to charge to some level first. I said okay and went ahead and purchased a new battery. Brought it back, installed it and presto! All is good. O’Reilly’s guy just called me and said battery charged and turned out to be “good,” I guess meaning no dead cells?
My question now is wondering if something is draining the battery and only a matter of time until this new battery experiences the same? I used to have a Range Rover and I remember the sales guy saying not to leave the key in the vehicle all the time…I’ve left the key in the Raptor since I got it, a couple of weeks now. If that’s no big deal, do ya’ll think I should still take it in to the dealership (low confidence value with them…hence I purchased elsewhere) and tell them what happened…or just wait and see? Thanks again for any input.
Only thing that i recall was the Zone lighting feature. You can turn the feature on but not any of the lights. Some folks had issues where it was left on and there is no real way to know other than going into the sync screen and making sure its off other than the fordpass app. I am pretty sure they fixed this as it was more of a 2021 issue but worth looking at. Leaving the feature on would drain batteries.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Check for any loose connections at the battery posts, especially the positive as this was an issue on some 2019 including mine.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats your address? cause you know..... free raptor. always remove the key from the vehicle. im not sure what stays on when the key is left in, but it wouldnt hurt to keep it at least 15 ft away. depending on how far you drive the truck each day, could cause the battery not to charge all the way, and low voltage on a lead acid battery is fatal to it. as far as battery, you might have gotten a bad one. if they only tested voltage on the battery it could be a false reading. there needs to be a load test to verify.. todays chargers read 12v and think its fine when its not.