Warranty selection from the Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socaljayhawk

Reaction score
Hi all- Hope this is in a good spot, its more of a general question and not Gen-specific. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

So I got my 2020 Raptor a couple weeks ago, with 40k miles. I was planing on getting the additional warranty from Flood Ford when I got home, but they talked me into buying the warranty thru them. The truck is a Gold CPO, so has a 12mth/12,000 mile on it initially. They talked me into a "Certified Pre-Owned Wrap", exlaining it as just extending the factory warranty out to 100k miles. Sounded good to me. Factory wrranty to 100k miles, perfect!

Fast forward to today- I get a welcome email from All-State this am, and turns out thats who is providing the warranty. I called them to verify a few things...they say I can take the truck to any licensed mechanic, but they have to authorize the repairs first, etc etc. They authorize $ amounts as well, so technically possible the dealer would charge more for the repair and Id have to take it elsewhere, but did say this is highly unlikely.

Should I get my $$ back and just call Flood for the Ford add-on instead? Copied below is the Not-Covered list if anyone is curious:

1) This Contract excludes the following parts and services:
a) Accessory drive belts, clamps, hoses, spark plugs and wires, clogged fuel injectors where a mechanical/electrical failure has not occurred, tires, wheels and wheel covers, wiper blades, standard transmission clutch parts (including pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing, clutch engagement arm and pivot), steering wheel (except for integral electrical failures), batteries (either stand alone or integral to a component), electric vehicle external charging stations, hybrid power packs, fuses, fusible links and circuit breakers, brake drums, rotors, pads and shoes, subframe, frame, frame bushings, retractable roof/convertible top, glass, lenses, light emitting assemblies (except for integral electrical failures), any individual light emitting device (i.e. bulbs of any type) that can be removed from an assembly, exhaust pipes, filters (except in conjunction with a FP4020-ISD 4 of 5 (10/18) CA Lic. No. 0G38909; FL Lic. No. 60141; OK Lic. No. 862522; TX Lic. No. 566 © 2018 Allstate LZX 18425 covered repair), exhaust gas recirculation pipes, hoses, and check valves, catalytic converter, conversion van appliances, door handles (except for integral electrical failures).
b) Loss of fuel, trim, upholstery, insulation, carpet and paint, air or water leaks or wind noise, squeaks and rattles, jack and tool kit, wheel lugs and lug nuts, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, vehicle body parts including but not limited to: bumpers, body panels, fasteners and mounts, moldings and outside ornamentation, bright metal parts, door stops, hinges, and weather stripping.
c) Any non-manufacturer installed parts including but not limited to: turbochargers, superchargers, convertible tops, audio, navigation, and security systems.
d) Replacement of oil, lubricants, coolants, additives and/or other fluids, except in conjunction with the repair of a Covered Part. Replacement of A/C refrigerant and/or oil unless in conjunction with a leak resulting from the failure of a Covered Part.
e) The use of parts that improve the Vehicle beyond its condition immediately prior to the Breakdown.
f) Any service considered to be regular maintenance, or a service, labor, or adjustment operation completed to correct a complaint where a Covered Part has not failed.
g) Suspension alignment (unless required in conjunction with the repair of a Breakdown).
h) Any part or repair that an Approved Repair Facility or manufacturer recommends or requires to be repaired, replaced, adjusted or updated (including updating software or programming) in conjunction with a covered repair when a Breakdown of that part has not occurred. This includes modifications, replacement or alteration of original systems necessitated by the replacement of an obsolete, superseded, redesigned, or unavailable part.

2) This Contract excludes the following conditions:
a) Any Breakdown resulting from damage caused to a Covered Part by impact or any other external force known or unknown, collision, bent or twisted parts, fire, terrorism, theft, vandalism, riot, explosion, restricted oil passages, rust or corrosion, salt, environmental damage, contamination, oxidation, carbon, sludge, varnish, damage caused when the engine exceeds the manufacturer’s maximum recommended operating temperature (as indicated by gauges, warning lights or audible warning sounds, warped or melted parts), lack of proper quality or quantity of fluids or lubricants, and acts of nature including but not limited to: lightning, earthquake, flood, windstorm, volcanic eruption, and freezing.
b) Any Breakdown that existed prior to the Contract Sale Date or reported after the expiration of this Contract, or occurred following a change of Vehicle ownership where the Contract was not transferred in accordance with the HOW TO TRANSFER THIS CONTRACT section.
c) Any repair(s) started without receiving prior authorization from Us, except for emergency repairs. (Please refer to the HOW TO FILE A CLAIM section.)
d) Any Breakdown caused by Your failure to follow the instructions in the YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES FOR SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE section or any Breakdown where maintenance records pertaining to a Breakdown have been requested by Us but cannot be produced or verified.
e) Any Breakdown caused by non-manufacturer alterations made to the Vehicle before or after the Contract Sale Date. Alterations include, but are not limited to: emissions equipment removal or modification, custom or add-on parts, trailer hitches, modification of powertrain components and/or their control systems, or offset rims.
f) Any loss if the odometer has failed, been broken, disconnected or altered, or if for any reason the Vehicle’s actual accumulated mileage cannot be determined.
g) Any charges or costs for inconvenience, loss of time, loss of income, commercial loss or any other consequential losses or expenses not specifically covered by this Contract.
h) Any liability for consequential or incidental damage to property or injury or death of any person.
i) Any loss caused by faulty or negligent auto repair work, improper servicing, or installation of defective parts.
j) Any Breakdown if a manufacturer has announced its responsibility through any means, including but not limited to public recalls and special policies.
k) Any Breakdown covered by any limited warranty, manufacturer’s warranty, repairer’s guarantee, road club, or any other guarantee, warranty, or insurance policy, whether collectible or not.
l) Any Breakdown when the Vehicle has been repossessed or declared a total loss.
m) Towing Benefit: recovery for any reason other than a mechanical Breakdown, and any expenses that exceed Your benefit limit.
n) Emergency Road Services: the cost for fuel, labor to produce keys, replacement keys, and mechanical failure of locks or ignition system, any expenses not specifically mentioned as covered by this Contract, and any expenses that exceed Your benefit limit.
o) Rental Vehicle/Alternate Transportation: for expenses for fuel, insurance, tolls, GPS or similar equipment, or maintenance charges; for delays due to shop scheduling, and any expenses that exceed Your benefit limit.

3) This Contract excludes the following uses:
a) Any Breakdown resulting from neglect, abuse or misuse of the Vehicle, or failure to protect the Vehicle from further damage when any Breakdown has occurred, or if You have used the Vehicle in any manner not recommended by the manufacturer.
b) Any Breakdown caused by loading the Vehicle in any way beyond the limitations established by the manufacturer.
c) Any Breakdown resulting when the Vehicle is or will be used/equipped or identified as: competitive driving or racing, taxi, or used for hire to the public or used to transport people for hire (except for personal vehicles used by a single driver for on-demand ridesharing services (e.g. Uber, Lyft, etc.); vehicles used for municipal or professional emergency or police services.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had an allstate backed 3rd party warranty before. Don’t do it.
@FordTechOne is right, they will use any possible excuse to deny coverage. They’re an auto insurance company, that’s their business model.

I had what ended up being a cam chain tensioner fail in my SVT Mustang. It ran like crap below about 1800 rpms, but fine above that. Of course, it wouldn’t throw any codes, so most Ford mechanics were baffled. They knew something was wrong, just not what. I went to 3 different places, the last one was an independent shop. I had to authorize a tear down, so I got in touch with the warranty number, opened a case and I was authorized nnnn $ to perform the tear down.

The problem was difficult to identify and diagnose, but after being on the back burner a few weeks, they found the bad part. I got the estimate and warranty guys send out an adjuster who promptly identified my non OEM Cobra R model wheels, and some other bits and bobs, resulting in a denial of coverage. The mechanic wrote up a letter calling the guy an idiot, as the 2 are completely unrelated. Adjuster comes back out, scours the engine bay identifying 2 mods in the engine bay. Denial. Mechanic again, having had enough of this writes a letter indicating this is not only unrelated, he will agree to testify in court, free of charge as an expert witness, and he’s a 20 year retired ASE cert’d master tech, and former SVT qual’d mechanic, etc., etc. Radio silence for 2 more weeks and they eventually knuckle under, paying almost the full $$ amount. Nothing for being out of service by way of a rental or anything mind you, but they did eventually pay out, without going to court.

Delay, deny, delay more, obfuscate, use the contract against you, delay, deny, obfuscate more, repeat as needed until you pay out of your own pocket.
That’s their business model. Back when I had this drama their threshold was somewhere between 1k and 1500 bucks for an adjuster to be involved, not sure about now.

If you’re going to spend money on a warranty and the Ford ESP is available, you should get that.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That list of exclusions is incredible. I don’t think there is anything left to include. Wow.
Yours is used so the following won’t help, but for new, Geico offers mechanical breakdown insurance. Cost is about a hundred a year, covers 7 years, 100k miles. I’ve used it more times than I can count over the years. $250 deductible. Covered tranny and clutch on Mazda3, driveshaft on my Touareg, etc, etc. never a hassle, never a denial. Even covered leaking shocks on MDX which were over $800, 20 years ago.

I think you are better off not wasting money insuring against a repair that may never occur. Here is a quick example. I have a 2-1/2 yr old French bulldog. Got him at 8 weeks. Pet insurance would’ve cost $80 a month. That’s what, a grand a year almost? I would’ve paid 2500 so far. We just had surgery in him to improve his breathing. It cost 3k. A, they may have denied it as preexisting. B, if they agreed to pay, they’d pay 75 percent. Do the math.

I’ve owned 3 Gen 2 Raptors, a 2018 Platinum, and am taking delivery of a Gen 3 hopefully this weekend. All have been reliable.

I am trading my 2020 with 26k miles for the Gen 3. I’m guessing I’ll get 63-65. They will ask 72-75.

raptor556

Reaction score
Personally I'm not a car warranty guy. I'd prefer to not pay for repairs up front.

The vast majority of the time the math does not work out in your favor. Hence why they sell them in the first place.

Tabasco519

Reaction score
Hi all- Hope this is in a good spot, its more of a general question and not Gen-specific. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

So I got my 2020 Raptor a couple weeks ago, with 40k miles. I was planing on getting the additional warranty from Flood Ford when I got home, but they talked me into buying the warranty thru them. The truck is a Gold CPO, so has a 12mth/12,000 mile on it initially. They talked me into a "Certified Pre-Owned Wrap", exlaining it as just extending the factory warranty out to 100k miles. Sounded good to me. Factory wrranty to 100k miles, perfect!

Fast forward to today- I get a welcome email from All-State this am, and turns out thats who is providing the warranty. I called them to verify a few things...they say I can take the truck to any licensed mechanic, but they have to authorize the repairs first, etc etc. They authorize $ amounts as well, so technically possible the dealer would charge more for the repair and Id have to take it elsewhere, but did say this is highly unlikely.

Should I get my $$ back and just call Flood for the Ford add-on instead? Copied below is the Not-Covered list if anyone is curious:

1) This Contract excludes the following parts and services:
a) Accessory drive belts, clamps, hoses, spark plugs and wires, clogged fuel injectors where a mechanical/electrical failure has not occurred, tires, wheels and wheel covers, wiper blades, standard transmission clutch parts (including pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing, clutch engagement arm and pivot), steering wheel (except for integral electrical failures), batteries (either stand alone or integral to a component), electric vehicle external charging stations, hybrid power packs, fuses, fusible links and circuit breakers, brake drums, rotors, pads and shoes, subframe, frame, frame bushings, retractable roof/convertible top, glass, lenses, light emitting assemblies (except for integral electrical failures), any individual light emitting device (i.e. bulbs of any type) that can be removed from an assembly, exhaust pipes, filters (except in conjunction with a FP4020-ISD 4 of 5 (10/18) CA Lic. No. 0G38909; FL Lic. No. 60141; OK Lic. No. 862522; TX Lic. No. 566 © 2018 Allstate LZX 18425 covered repair), exhaust gas recirculation pipes, hoses, and check valves, catalytic converter, conversion van appliances, door handles (except for integral electrical failures).
b) Loss of fuel, trim, upholstery, insulation, carpet and paint, air or water leaks or wind noise, squeaks and rattles, jack and tool kit, wheel lugs and lug nuts, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, vehicle body parts including but not limited to: bumpers, body panels, fasteners and mounts, moldings and outside ornamentation, bright metal parts, door stops, hinges, and weather stripping.
c) Any non-manufacturer installed parts including but not limited to: turbochargers, superchargers, convertible tops, audio, navigation, and security systems.
d) Replacement of oil, lubricants, coolants, additives and/or other fluids, except in conjunction with the repair of a Covered Part. Replacement of A/C refrigerant and/or oil unless in conjunction with a leak resulting from the failure of a Covered Part.
e) The use of parts that improve the Vehicle beyond its condition immediately prior to the Breakdown.
f) Any service considered to be regular maintenance, or a service, labor, or adjustment operation completed to correct a complaint where a Covered Part has not failed.
g) Suspension alignment (unless required in conjunction with the repair of a Breakdown).
h) Any part or repair that an Approved Repair Facility or manufacturer recommends or requires to be repaired, replaced, adjusted or updated (including updating software or programming) in conjunction with a covered repair when a Breakdown of that part has not occurred. This includes modifications, replacement or alteration of original systems necessitated by the replacement of an obsolete, superseded, redesigned, or unavailable part.

2) This Contract excludes the following conditions:
a) Any Breakdown resulting from damage caused to a Covered Part by impact or any other external force known or unknown, collision, bent or twisted parts, fire, terrorism, theft, vandalism, riot, explosion, restricted oil passages, rust or corrosion, salt, environmental damage, contamination, oxidation, carbon, sludge, varnish, damage caused when the engine exceeds the manufacturer’s maximum recommended operating temperature (as indicated by gauges, warning lights or audible warning sounds, warped or melted parts), lack of proper quality or quantity of fluids or lubricants, and acts of nature including but not limited to: lightning, earthquake, flood, windstorm, volcanic eruption, and freezing.
b) Any Breakdown that existed prior to the Contract Sale Date or reported after the expiration of this Contract, or occurred following a change of Vehicle ownership where the Contract was not transferred in accordance with the HOW TO TRANSFER THIS CONTRACT section.
c) Any repair(s) started without receiving prior authorization from Us, except for emergency repairs. (Please refer to the HOW TO FILE A CLAIM section.)
d) Any Breakdown caused by Your failure to follow the instructions in the YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES FOR SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE section or any Breakdown where maintenance records pertaining to a Breakdown have been requested by Us but cannot be produced or verified.
e) Any Breakdown caused by non-manufacturer alterations made to the Vehicle before or after the Contract Sale Date. Alterations include, but are not limited to: emissions equipment removal or modification, custom or add-on parts, trailer hitches, modification of powertrain components and/or their control systems, or offset rims.
f) Any loss if the odometer has failed, been broken, disconnected or altered, or if for any reason the Vehicle’s actual accumulated mileage cannot be determined.
g) Any charges or costs for inconvenience, loss of time, loss of income, commercial loss or any other consequential losses or expenses not specifically covered by this Contract.
h) Any liability for consequential or incidental damage to property or injury or death of any person.
i) Any loss caused by faulty or negligent auto repair work, improper servicing, or installation of defective parts.
j) Any Breakdown if a manufacturer has announced its responsibility through any means, including but not limited to public recalls and special policies.
k) Any Breakdown covered by any limited warranty, manufacturer’s warranty, repairer’s guarantee, road club, or any other guarantee, warranty, or insurance policy, whether collectible or not.
l) Any Breakdown when the Vehicle has been repossessed or declared a total loss.
m) Towing Benefit: recovery for any reason other than a mechanical Breakdown, and any expenses that exceed Your benefit limit.
n) Emergency Road Services: the cost for fuel, labor to produce keys, replacement keys, and mechanical failure of locks or ignition system, any expenses not specifically mentioned as covered by this Contract, and any expenses that exceed Your benefit limit.
o) Rental Vehicle/Alternate Transportation: for expenses for fuel, insurance, tolls, GPS or similar equipment, or maintenance charges; for delays due to shop scheduling, and any expenses that exceed Your benefit limit.

3) This Contract excludes the following uses:
a) Any Breakdown resulting from neglect, abuse or misuse of the Vehicle, or failure to protect the Vehicle from further damage when any Breakdown has occurred, or if You have used the Vehicle in any manner not recommended by the manufacturer.
b) Any Breakdown caused by loading the Vehicle in any way beyond the limitations established by the manufacturer.
c) Any Breakdown resulting when the Vehicle is or will be used/equipped or identified as: competitive driving or racing, taxi, or used for hire to the public or used to transport people for hire (except for personal vehicles used by a single driver for on-demand ridesharing services (e.g. Uber, Lyft, etc.); vehicles used for municipal or professional emergency or police services.
If you buy a Ford ESP they are actually more aggravating than most of the aftermarket ones now. The one thing that is good about the service contracts that most dealers sell now is that they (the dealer) administers the claim, so if you have an issue call your dealer and 9 times out of 10 it will be taken care of. The items listed in the exclusions are all wear items and no service plan will cover those unless you add a Premium Maintenance plan and even then some of those items are still not covered.