Warranty Humor: Best Denials (worst escalations)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After over a decade in my chosen post-military engineering career path progression, one tends to get to know quite a few folks across the industry who’ve risen through the ranks. Nerd brotherhood at its finest.

Thought you might enjoy some of the recent “greatest hits” that were escalated to the SVP/VP “fix it or I’ll sue” level in MY 2020 vehicles.

The rules were that the issue had to escalate from dealership to a corporate level where a lawsuit was filed, and a department director had to escalate to the SVP/VP level for us to meet w/legal to render a final decision (a monumental waste of time and resources when something makes it this high).

A bunch of us who work for different OEMs were at an industry gathering sharing stories—wondering how blatantly aggregious cases ever escalate to corporate levels (which unfortunately clogs the system for “legitimate” escalations). Believe it or not, we learn from one another—not in how to mess over legitimate claims, but in how to ensure that valid ones are expedited to make the dealer/consumer “whole”.

Sadly/fortunately, I had no decent stories due to the relative demographics of my OEM customers under warranty—other than the usual lack of maintenance which is unfortunately more common than one would imagine even among very nice newer vehicles under factory warranty (our vehicles tend to get lifted/modded/“tuned” after the 3rd-4th owner on average which doesn’t matter).

NOTE: None of these involved Ford pickups or Raptors, lol.
NOTE2: Limited the top 3 to domestic and foreign pickups and/or SUVs as our parent OEMs all make those obviously.
NOTE3: within the “bumper to bumper/drivetrain factory warranty”, or “extended OEM warranty.”

Enjoy (or cringe) at the subjective Top 2 (we couldn’t agree on which was best/runner up):

2. Transmission, differential seal leak (<75k mi: extended drivetrain warranty): Owner did remove the wheel spacers, 24” oversized aftermarket wheels (tires no problem as the thin sidewall tire actually weighed less), “erased” tuner/return to stock, and it was evident that some parts had been unbolted to return truck to stock before it went in the first time. The glaring issues were evident tire rub on the liners, the dealership installed all of it and assisted in the “return to stock.” The red flags existed well before especially as in this case, the attorney was suing the aftermarket company. Reflash of computer showed that factory parameters were significantly modified (shift points in the transmission as well as power). All agreed: the CAI was no big deal at all as it was not a contributor.

1. Rear diff, engine (<50k mi: extended OEM drivetrain warranty): Owner had a “reputable performance shop” dyno tune the truck w/tuner maxed out (which we downloaded despite “erasing”), aftermarket cat back exhaust, put 0w/20 in engine (engine called for a different weight especially in a hot climate), and a combination of engine oil/STP oil treatment/anti-slip treatment) into the rear diff vs. gear oil. Transfer case fluid was thinner (easily captured). This “reputable shop” works on a lot of vehicles—as the improved dyno numbers do not lie (thinner oil and thinner diff fluid). Two major issues: 1) Airbox had holes drilled on the wrong side/after filter side (to improve airflow—we believe the owner did this vs. the shop). 2) The receipt for the shop was still in the owner’s manual book—as this proud owner did a great job of documenting everything. Shop was called—and they were outstanding in credibility based on the number of reviews/satisfied customers/etc. I would not take a used bicycle to this performance shop after we dissected it all.

NOTE4: I voted in the order above (we had plenty). Welcome your thoughts.

NOTE5: None were Ford(r/TM), and this post is not intended to denigrate any company/industry/business. I embrace the aftermarket and believe in a free market where people may alter/potentially damage/destroy their personal possessions.

Forgive my passion for this, but integrity means everything to me—and we see this far more often than one could imagine. Think of the claims that should never escalate past a dealership level—and escalate to an SVP/VP/legal level.

People who try to hide—know they did something wrong. By doing so, they create a level of scrutiny that harms the honest (my wife/attorney/former JAG/brains of the family stated the above, paraphrased).

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love drilling the airbox on the wrong side! Sounds like what I would see once in a while from sport bike guys. There was a guy that drilled though his ECU to mount a fender and couldn't figure out why his bike wouldn't run anymore.

JP77

Reaction score
After over a decade in my chosen post-military engineering career path progression, one tends to get to know quite a few folks across the industry who’ve risen through the ranks. Nerd brotherhood at its finest.

‘00