Warranty Denial

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NomadV

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

Running into an issue with Ford denying the warranty on our 2018 Super Crew Raptor. The truck is well under the 36/36 and this is the 3rd time we have taken it in for the same issue.

Here is a breakdown of the issues:

we were stationed in Puerto Rico when we bought the truck over Memorial Day weekend 2018. Shortly thereafter we were getting water intrusion under the driver side floor mat and in the running board. They said they fixed it.

shortly thereafter the Army moved us to Kentucky and shipped our truck here. We registered it here after receiving it. Anyone in the area knows it’s been a pretty wet summer and winter and we found the water was intruding again. So we took it to the local KY dealer that could get us in the fastest. After over 2 weeks they told us they had fixed it.

then again, after several days of heavy rain we actually had a puddle on the floor on the driver’s side. So we made an appointment with another dealer to look at it.

the service guy at this dealer has been great, keeping us in the loop and communicating. He called and told us he thought he found the issue but when he submitted the warranty claim to Ford they denied it (he said the drain tube is missing from the moon roof and a new headliner and interior carpet is needed). He told us he had tried escalating it through his end and was getting nowhere so he gave us the number to call at Ford.

everyone I spoke to gave me different information, but what it comes down to is that Ford has flagged our VIN saying it did not have a valid warranty because it was purchased in Puerto Rico, regardless of the fact that we bought it from the largest Ford Dealership on the island. One rep went through the owners manual with me and on Page 4 it states that the warranty is valid on vehicles purchased in US Territories, which Puerto Rico is one.

I have tried talking to a manager at Ford but the CS Reps tell me it is not allowed. I have tried emailing William Ford Jr and Jim Hackett to no response (though I did get a spoof message from someone claiming to be Mr Ford then tried to get money from us).

this makes me wonder, since quite a few military members rotate through Puerto Rico, if other service members are purchasing Ford vehicles there, coming back to the States only to find out that the vehicle they purchased new is not covered under warranty.

I’m just at my wits end as my 75k truck sits at the dealer and knowing that at not even 2 years old it no longer has a warranty.

I guess this is partial vent, partial plea for any help or guidance that someone could offer. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get a response via emails, social media, phone calls, etc.

If anyone has any advice or help they could provide, I would greatly appreciate it

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
everyone I spoke to gave me different information, but what it comes down to is that Ford has flagged our VIN saying it did not have a valid warranty because it was purchased in Puerto Rico, regardless of the fact that we bought it from the largest Ford Dealership on the island. One rep went through the owners manual with me and on Page 4 it states that the warranty is valid on vehicles purchased in US Territories, which Puerto Rico is one.

I have tried talking to a manager at Ford but the CS Reps tell me it is not allowed. I have tried emailing William Ford Jr and Jim Hackett to no response (though I did get a spoof message from someone claiming to be Mr Ford then tried to get money from us).

First off, this is certainly unfortunate behavior on Ford’s part, and is no way to treat a paying customer, much less a paying customer who protect’s Ford’s ability to... you know, EXIST.

2nd, don’t waste your time emailing, calling or writing letters to Ford corp. The correspondence is intercepted by secretaries and routed to the round file. Unless it’s a lawsuit or legal papers.

It sounds like you’ve talked to Ford Customer Service, and gotten nowhere, but, to clarify - have you raised your concerns to Ford C/S and requested a case be created?

you purchased the vehicle new and there’s no question of abuse, neglect and it’s not a ‘flood damage’ vehicle?

You need a clear statement of denial from Ford and a clear reason why from the dealership, preferably in writing if you don’t have it. at your next dealership interaction, record all interactions with your smartphone. Check KY law to see if you need to notify the other party. They will resist putting a denial reason in writing. If they do so, insist they repair the vehicle under warranty as they are legally obligated to do. you need evidence here, record them either way. Raise your concern about the warranty guide with your dealer rep. Once you have the denial either in writing or on tape or both, leave. Don’t engage in unnecessary conversation.

Go get a lawyer familiar with lemon law cases, to start with at least; you don’t need a lemon lawyer yet, but, you do need someone willing to research your case fact set and set your expectations accordingly. You either do have a valid warranty or you don’t. If you are legally entitled to warranty coverage, unleash the lawyer on Ford. Their expertise should cover related material on what’s covered and not as it applies to vehicles purchased in US territories, etc.

OP
OP
N

NomadV

Reaction score
First off, this is certainly unfortunate behavior on Ford’s part, and is no way to treat a paying customer, much less a paying customer who protect’s Ford’s ability to... you know, EXIST.

2nd, don’t waste your time emailing, calling or writing letters to Ford corp. The correspondence is intercepted by secretaries and routed to the round file. Unless it’s a lawsuit or legal papers.

It sounds like you’ve talked to Ford Customer Service, and gotten nowhere, but, to clarify - have you raised your concerns to Ford C/S and requested a case be created?

you purchased the vehicle new and there’s no question of abuse, neglect and it’s not a ‘flood damage’ vehicle?

You need a clear statement of denial from Ford and a clear reason why from the dealership, preferably in writing if you don’t have it. at your next dealership interaction, record all interactions with your smartphone. Check KY law to see if you need to notify the other party. They will resist putting a denial reason in writing. If they do so, insist they repair the vehicle under warranty as they are legally obligated to do. you need evidence here, record them either way. Raise your concern about the warranty guide with your dealer rep. Once you have the denial either in writing or on tape or both, leave. Don’t engage in unnecessary conversation.

Go get a lawyer familiar with lemon law cases, to start with at least; you don’t need a lemon lawyer yet, but, you do need someone willing to research your case fact set and set your expectations accordingly. You either do have a valid warranty or you don’t. If you are legally entitled to warranty coverage, unleash the lawyer on Ford. Their expertise should cover related material on what’s covered and not as it applies to vehicles purchased in US territories, etc.
Thanks for the response.

You are correct, it’s is not flood related damage as it was purchased after Hurricane Maria.

The dealer has been extremely helpful trying to help us through the process. But I will ask him tomorrow if he will notate in writing why Ford is denying the warranty. I talked to him for about 30 mins Fri evening and he told me he thought it was ******** that no only a customer but service members are having to go through this. He told me he has all the parts and can fix it in a few hours, but isn’t allowed to if Ford denies the warranty unless I pay out of pocket, said he could get fired, which I wouldn’t wish on the guy.

Additionally, they have created a case, but the guy at first was blaming the dealer and saying it’s just they don’t want to do it. Then said he would call me back about going to another dealer. He left me a message and said the other dealer wouldn’t do it either. It was when I tried to call him back that another rep told me that there was an actual flag on the VIN and that there was no warranty because it was purchased in Puerto Rico. So I guess the good thing is that they are on recorded lines. I asked to talk to a manager, they said I couldn’t talk to a supervisor (which is just a more tenured rep in case you guys didn’t know) but they would see if one would be willing to call me after looking at the case. The main rep, just don’t know that I trust what he is saying because at first he’s all about year it’s in the manual, to it’s the dealer that’s the problem, to I tried to escalate it and it’s not getting anywhere.

I guess I was just hoping it wouldn’t come to having to deal with a lawyer and all the BS since the mil is moving us again for a year long school at the end of May after less than a year in KY. But I guess that’s less stressful than having a truck that isn’t warrantied. But it’s clear as day in the manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they’re being helpful, but you need to bypass the dealer and go straight to your regional Ford customer service rep. As others have stated, if they deny the claim in writing then it’s time to lawyer up.

If it is indeed a missing drain tube, then it’s a clear manufacturing error/omission and they need to warranty the repair.

OP
OP
N

NomadV

Reaction score
Sounds like they’re being helpful, but you need to bypass the dealer and go straight to your regional Ford customer service rep. As others have stated, if they deny the claim in writing then it’s time to lawyer up.

If it is indeed a missing drain tube, then it’s a clear manufacturing error/omission and they need to warranty the repair.

He told me he had already talked to the regional rep prior to giving me the Customer Care number.

Someone sent me a number to the office of the CEO to try calling , though they said I likely won’t get anywhere.

Also just received a message from a local news channel that said they are showing the issue to the producers to see if it’s something they want to look into.

I guess at least I’m getting a little traction and visibility on the issue

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He told me he had already talked to the regional rep prior to giving me the Customer Care number.

Someone sent me a number to the office of the CEO to try calling , though they said I likely won’t get anywhere.

Also just received a message from a local news channel that said they are showing the issue to the producers to see if it’s something they want to look into.

I guess at least I’m getting a little traction and visibility on the issue

what they tell you and what is done is unfortunately not always the same thing... Like Ronnie said, “Trust, but verify.”