Warning: Rear back-up assist is pretty corner-blind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a warning as I have now had two incidents where obstacles that came in from the corner of he rear bumper as I was turning a bit were not picked up on/warned about by rear back-up assist sensors. The fish-eye effect of the camera can also make picking up on the types of items tricky when using the screen.

Incident 1 happened when I had the truck about 2-3 weeks, and I backed up at a friend's farm...neither the camera, the sensors, nor I in the dark, saw a 3" pine sapling that came in from the right rear as I backed up and turned a bit. I hit the pine tree, not too hard, but it left a little rub mark on the metal bumper and still pissed me off.

Incident 2 happened last week as I was trying to 3-point it to get into a pretty tight angled parking place at a store. I was backing to make the last turn when the back left apparently slid down the side of a plywood and chain link dumpster enclosure. The sensors did not go off until I felt the slide, 6" after contact with the rear quarter panel, and the fish-eye made the corner look farther away than it was. Fortunately, the plywood made 99% of the contact and flexed, so it looked pretty rough when I saw it, but some goof-off took off 99% of the markings, and there was no dent.

This is, of course, still my fault, but just a reminder that the tech is not a panacea for real-world backing skills and observation.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sensors are finicky at times also. When I think they should go off they do not. Other times they work great. Same with cross traffic sensors, at times they beep so quick and when I look at the screen its gone already. This system could use some work in my eyes.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up. I was pulling into the gas station behind a pickup with his bed down. I hit the camera button and pulled to where I thought I had about 2 feet between us, I was way closer than I anticipated, under a foot. In reverse, I have found the sensors pretty conservative.

[QUOTE="lawdog, post: 1363656, member: 23064”]T...just a reminder that the tech is not a panacea for real-world backing skills and observation.[/QUOTE]

That states it perfectly.

Andrew_

Reaction score
Haha, a day too late. Just backed into another vehicle where the same thing happened, it beeped after I hit the vehicle. :mad:

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a similar experience as well. I backed into a parking garage space next to a column, and in the camera it looked like I had a ton of room between the rear flare and the column. When I got out and looked at it, I was only about 2" away. The technology is great, but not foolproof.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say Ford’s tech is not up to par with others I have experienced.

I have a couple BMWs with backup sensors and park assist tech... a 2012 and a 2018. Needless to say the 2018 is worlds ahead of the Raptor... and the 2012 BMW is significantly better than the 2019 Raptor as well.

A bit of a disappointment from a $70k 2019 vehicle.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I have a couple BMWs with backup sensors and park assist tech... a 2012 and a 2018. Needless to say the 2018 is worlds ahead of the Raptor... and the 2012 BMW is significantly better than the 2019 Raptor as well.

Don't let @jaz13 see this

smurfslayer

Reaction score

yeah, tell me how great those ultimate driving machines are after some mysterious electrical gremlin strands you on the side of the road in east BFE and their infamous roadside assistance strands you too.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score

Man you can’t get over this your 70k truck is not like your 70k BMW huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Man you can’t get over this your 70k truck is not like your 70k BMW huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nah, I’m just a Euro-phobe. I did spy a broke down 7 series at mount vernon circle tonight though and definitely got a chuckle out of it.