Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

GEN 2 Warm or cold engine for plug swap?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Mike cip, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Mike cip

Mike cip Member

In preparation for my JDM Engineering tune swapping in the recommend SP-550 with a .028 gap.

What's best for removing? Warm (not operating temp) or cold engine?

Thanks

2. Darkhorse99

Darkhorse99 Full Access Member

Shouldn't matter either way. I did mine when the engine was warm. Just remember, the plugs will probably still be hot and don't cross thread them in there.

3. allinon72

allinon72 Full Access Member

Warm - plugs are installed dry and the extra heat will aid in removal. Just don't get it too hot.

4. Mike cip

Mike cip Member

Thanks they came out easily. Started engine long enough to move it 20 feet. The stock plugs were just snug. I did note the factory gap was .028. Same as the new sp-550. (Sp-550 were factory set at .028)

Installed the new plugs with a little nickel based anti seize and some dielectric grease for the boots.

Next up is the tune.

Hopefully will see that soon!

5. Christopher Manns

Christopher Manns Member

I just ordered a jdm tune. Did t see anything about a plug change. Why did you go with new plugs?

6. Mike cip

Mike cip Member

When I spoke to nick he said to change the plugs to the sp-550 and gap at .028. My truck only has 1800 miles, but I did as he advised. I’m guessing the factory gaps must be all over the place. My truck was at .028 and the new plugs out of the box were .028.

You may be able to just check your gaps. But if you are pulling them to check may want to replace. That was my thought. The plugs are cheap at rock auto. Got them next day

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Christopher Manns likes this.