Wanting to upgrade speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exx1976

Reaction score
So, I read most of the big thread above. Seems I need a mosconi 6to8 v8 and component speakers for the front, coaxial speakers for the back, 2 amps, and some type of sub. Truck is a 2012 Screw with the sony/nav/sync system.

What I'm looking for: I want sq, not spl - but I do want louder than factory (I like to use the Bluetooth audio source, which has the quietest playback of all sources), and I want bass. I don't mean hip-hop/dance club bass, but dammit if I want to throw on some A3 or sneakerpimps or crystal method, it should sound PROPER. However, I am not willing to sacrifice any more space than what's under the rear passenger seat. So, it can be a little wider than the factory box, but I want the entire larger underseat area available for other purposes. Musical tastes range from those mentioned above to slayer, megadeth, old school Metallica (black & older), 60s/70s classic rock, 80s electronic, 90s grunge, and some of the "newer" stuff like black eyed peas. One of my favorite songs to throw on to evaluate a stereo is #1 crush by garbage.

Goals: I'd like to start with just replacing speakers as "phase one" (immediately). Phase 2 will be the dsp and amps and sub (in a few months).

My budget (hopefully) for this project is $2000 total. I will be doing the install & dsp tuning myself (I'm technically inclined, and not afraid to load software and tinker).

What can I do with this budget? What would you recommend for subs and amps and door speakers? Keep in mind that although I want sq, I'm not an audiophile, so mid-range gear will likely do it. In previous vehicles I've had alpine type-e (I think? Maybe type-s? It's been years) 10" subs with Sony xplod amps, and I've used RF stuff in the past as well. The sound was "OK", but the RF amp would overheat and shut down, and the xplod, well, xploded. The subs sounded good though. :)

Thanks!

Last edited: