Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Want to take up golf

Discussion in 'FRF Sports Bar' started by Johnfaeglasgow, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Johnfaeglasgow

Johnfaeglasgow Full Access Member

So, I’m thinking my wife and I want to take up golf. We need something to do together in what little spare time we have, and it seems like a nice fit. There is a nice course about half a mile from home so hopefully the time commitment should be too drastic once we learn.
    Any recommendations how to get started? It can’t be as simple as buying a set of clubs from Dick’s and just turning up right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

go to a driving range and practice. you will go through many a bucket. and then practice on the putting green. as far as clubs go, no need to spend a ton of money on expensive clubs until you get your swing down and have a feel for how the clubs fits and the stiffness of the shaft (insert thats what she said joke)..... once you ge comfortable with being able to hit the ball then worry about a decent set of clubs. but any sporting goods store will have beginner clubs so you can practice. its a fun game to play. i have been playing since i was a kid.

SVTTrooper and btrflyglfr like this.
  3. GCATX

GCATX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I had it to do all over again, I would invest in a quick lesson from a pro, before you learn bad habits. Have them show you proper grip technique, head/eye and foot placement.

After that it's just beer and wasted money.

4. wheelman55

wheelman55 Full Access Member

Make sure to NOT tell your wife how to play/swing/club choice/etc. Definitely take some lessons. Start out on a short course.

If you are slow, the golfers behind you will not be happy. The course ranger will tell you to speed it up. DO NOT TELL YOUR WIFE TO SPEED IT UP.

Say nothing to her except “nice shot” when she hits a nice shot.

Otherwise silence is your friend, unless she is really enjoying the experience and laughing.

Then it’s ok to laugh with her, not at her.

It’ll be an adventure.

Johnfaeglasgow and btrflyglfr like this.
  5. goblues38

goblues38 FRF Addict

Take lessons.
    Don't keep score for the 1st year.
    Drink a lot.

Have to keep it fun when learning. then get more serious with keeping score as you get better. Nothing is more demoralizing to you soul then hacking a 115 round every weekend, only to see it go to 110.......then back to 120.

And take a loan out. Golf aint cheap.

6. D3 SS 3D

D3 SS 3D Full Access Member

I've been playing golf for 4 years, but I spent 6 months of my 1st year on a driving range before I ever even played a round of golf (3 hours Saturday and Sunday and occasional week day). I'm not saying you need to practice that much before, but range time prior to actual golf is necessary for you to make consistent contact (not good contact, consistent contact, making good contact repeatedly is a whole different time commitment). Also, as others have stated, I'd recommend used / cheap clubs at first and take a look into Paul Wilson (Ignition Golf) for instruction on grip, set-up, posture, etc., wish I would have started there.

P.S. A typical round of golf takes 4ish hours, so driving to, from, getting gear and cart ready, warmup, round, etc. is going to be 5+ hours likely (ie. golf is not exactly a time friendly sport for someone with little spare time IMHO).

7. Johnfaeglasgow

Johnfaeglasgow Full Access Member

That’s all great advice guys! Yeah, I’m pretty excited about the prospect. I’m originally from Scotland and everyone always asks if I play. About time I changed that. I think it’s gonna be neat that she and I are starting out with zero experience, so sharing the experience should help us both along I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

ok... I’ll be the Devil’s Advocate here.

You know what a golf course is?

A horrible waste of real estate that would make a great rifle range.
    - Drill Sgt. Booth

I mean, you can have a really good, scoped bolt action rifle for literally the same cost as a set of clubs; a new Savage 308 with a 3x9x40 for a tick over $400 new. pick up some ammo and head to the range.

Or spend a little more and build a good AR platform “Varminter”. it’s fun, rewarding and a usable life skill.

JJexp and Bhollier like this.
  9. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

die bitch.... die haha

guns are fun.... but so is golf

btrflyglfr likes this.
  10. GCATX

GCATX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

What about all the beer and cart girls?