Want to level but need to tow sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Shipley

Reaction score
New to the forum, and new to the truck so any help is much appreciated!

Got a 2018, and want to level and put 35's with 20's on it. looking at Ridge grapplers with Method wheels.
I do tow some, just small trips within an hours drive. Want to be able to tow G23 Boat to the nearby lake, as well as my RZR and snowmobiles.

Any thoughts on best way to help the truck with trying to do all this?

TIA for the thoughts and opinions.

IMG_7879.jpg

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my raptor a lot like you described and have 20” wheels with Ridge Grapplers. I generally have 300lbs of gear in the bed of my truck at all times. Cover and tools add up quickly.

Unfortunately you will want to re spring the rear with deaver +2HD and a bump kit if you off-road. I have the SVC bump kit with Fox IFP bumps and Camburg shackles. If you do not plan to do any off-roading get the SDHQ bump relocate kit.

To level the front I went with RPG 1.5” collars. My truck sits 3/4” high in the rear with the deavers and the added weight of tools, cover, recovery gear, spare 20” wheel etc.

Towing my 24’ Yamaha boat it drops aprox 3/4-1” with 500 lb tongue weight. Towing a rzr only drops half an inch.

An expensive upgrade but worth every penny to me. I did all the work myself accept the alignment but it was still in spec.

Truck performs so much better now.

Here is a pic of how mine sits.
a9d0c287c2df0e38339f6f81f59fceae.jpg
9ad46b7006945f28f577b21a30b56ff4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Got a 2018, and want to level and put 35's with 20's on it. looking at Ridge grapplers with Method wheels.
I do tow some, just small trips within an hours drive. Want to be able to tow G23 Boat to the nearby lake, as well as my RZR and snowmobiles.

View attachment 114841
I just intstalled the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System on my 2017 and it worked extremely well. No impact to every day driving and it kept the rear from sagging with a sport quad in the bed, a RZR attached on a trailer, and probably another 200 lbs in the back seat. Ride was great while trailering. Total intall was about 30 minutes.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just intstalled the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System on my 2017 and it worked extremely well. No impact to every day driving and it kept the rear from sagging with a sport quad in the bed, a RZR attached on a trailer, and probably another 200 lbs in the back seat. Ride was great while trailering. Total intall was about 30 minutes.

I tried timbrens on my gen 1 and my back was killing me and it felt like my fillings were going to fall out! Riding on rubber bumps was no bueno for me. Glad they work for you!

OP
OP
C

Chris Shipley

Reaction score

Which exact one did you order?

OP
OP
C

Chris Shipley

Reaction score
I use my raptor a lot like you described and have 20” wheels with Ridge Grapplers. I generally have 300lbs of gear in the bed of my truck at all times. Cover and tools add up quickly.

Unfortunately you will want to re spring the rear with deaver +2HD and a bump kit if you off-road. I have the SVC bump kit with Fox IFP bumps and Camburg shackles. If you do not plan to do any off-roading get the SDHQ bump relocate kit.

To level the front I went with RPG 1.5” collars. My truck sits 3/4” high in the rear with the deavers and the added weight of tools, cover, recovery gear, spare 20” wheel etc.

Towing my 24’ Yamaha boat it drops aprox 3/4-1” with 500 lb tongue weight. Towing a rzr only drops half an inch.

An expensive upgrade but worth every penny to me. I did all the work myself accept the alignment but it was still in spec.

Truck performs so much better now.

Here is a pic of how mine sits.
a9d0c287c2df0e38339f6f81f59fceae.jpg
9ad46b7006945f28f577b21a30b56ff4.jpg

Seems like a great option, appreciate the feedback. GLT

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 114841

I used the "Super Sumo" 1500 pound rated ones with a WDH pulling the enclosed trailer and it seems to work just fine. With the trailer unhooked it's not uncomfortable to leave the Sumos installed if you aren't doing anything other than mild off-roading, the bumps just rest on the pad with the jack down and they are more progressive then the Timbren. Install/swap time is the same as Timbren, a 5 min idea to swap them back to factory. I switch back to factory bumps when I know I'm not going to be towing for a while...

Raptor with trailer.jpg

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried timbrens on my gen 1 and my back was killing me and it felt like my fillings were going to fall out! Riding on rubber bumps was no bueno for me. Glad they work for you!

Did you have the required one inch gap below the Timbren SES and the axle?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which exact one did you order?
Sorry, but I do not remember the part number, so you will have to dig that up on their website, but keep in mind you will need to purchase their 1" spacers if you have Deaver +3s in the rear. The spacers do not come in sets of two, so make sure you purchase one for each side. In addition, you will also need to purchase longer bolts (I got them for a couple bucks at Home Depot) if your installation requires spacers due to spring modifications.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have the required one inch gap below the Timbren SES and the axle?

When empty yes but when I added the boat they were on the bumps and that was terrible!

So much more to be had with the deavers in all scenarios I would never use Timbrens again. They are a super cheap solution for visual purposes only, imho.

Maybe they have improved them somehow idk, I can only comment on my use on my 11 gen1 scab and 14 screw before going to HD Deavers on the 14 and my 18 gen2. They are $2600 less![emoji23]