Wait!! What!!?? Plastic Drain Plug...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Fake news and disinformation
Don’t report me to the ministry of extra truthiness.

Why are you peasants changing your oil oil?
Best answer.

I lose my corner boys when we venture off road. So, at least for me, I need to know how to either effect some basic repairs, or jack the guy in the truck behind me.

Johndeere99

Reaction score
I have never seen a vehicle with a plastic oil pan drain plug; except for my riding mower.
What the!!??

Seems like it needs to be replaced at every oil change?

Anyone use this type of replacement drain plug?

Ronin Billet Easy Oil Drain Plug
I have this on my 18. Works fine. It is about the only replacement for the plastic plug I could come up with at the time and it is much better than the factory plug.

OP
OP
AutoXRacer

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Fordtech set me straight...

The Gen3s do not have composite pans nor plugs. Ford reverted back to aluminum pans and plugs in mid-2018 model year.

Sorry... false alarm.

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several local oil change specialty shops (i.e. Valvoline) wont work on Ford's that have the plastic drain plug. Apparently their techs can easily over-tighten, break the seal and people call them next day with oil all over their driveway.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a big deal a most have no problems. I change my plus every 3 changes or so.

Remember, there are guns made of composite. Also, there are liners of heavy duty mining haul trucks made of “plastic”. There are different grades of polymers. This isn’t the same as a coke bottle.