VIDEO | Wastegate or Cam Phaser Rattle on cold startup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiRhodes

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a 2018 Raptor in March of 2022. I went in and got the 21b08 CSP done as I thought I heard a rattle on startup. Since this update I have noticed the engine studdering when coming to a stop sometimes. I have done extensive research on this and see conflicting suggestions. To save time form everyone I do not need input on a course of action, however I would like some expertise on if the sound I am hearing on cold startup is a wastegate rattle or the actual cam phasers. I have an appointment to get it diagnosed this upcoming week but I am trying to save the appointment fee if this is 100% wastegate. I will like the clips below and hopefully you can hear it well enough to help me narrow down which one this is.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a 2018 Raptor in March of 2022. I went in and got the 21b08 CSP done as I thought I heard a rattle on startup. Since this update I have noticed the engine studdering when coming to a stop sometimes. I have done extensive research on this and see conflicting suggestions. To save time form everyone I do not need input on a course of action, however I would like some expertise on if the sound I am hearing on cold startup is a wastegate rattle or the actual cam phasers. I have an appointment to get it diagnosed this upcoming week but I am trying to save the appointment fee if this is 100% wastegate. I will like the clips below and hopefully you can hear it well enough to help me narrow down which one this is.

Like @FordTechOne said the code is different than what you said. We have the shudder at a stop, and the RPMs will drop to 500 RPM and pop back up to idle, which I feel isn't normal. We also have wastegate rattle but as far as I know it shouldn't cause a problem.

OP
OP
M

MiRhodes

Reaction score
Like @FordTechOne said the code is different than what you said. We have the shudder at a stop, and the RPMs will drop to 500 RPM and pop back up to idle, which I feel isn't normal. We also have wastegate rattle but as far as I know it shouldn't cause a problem.
Awesome, thank you for the update. I made the video public as well. Sorry for the confusion on the recall but it was the one for the cam phasers I think I just have the recall code wrong. I may have the dealership revert the PCM update as I believe that will take care of the shuddering.

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck sounds identical, and as far as im aware its waste gate rattle. Speaking strictly on the noise. Idk about that RPM drop.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for the update. I made the video public as well. Sorry for the confusion on the recall but it was the one for the cam phasers I think I just have the recall code wrong. I may have the dealership revert the PCM update as I believe that will take care of the shuddering.
That is wastegate rattle. Exact sound ours makes. I know 2017 MY F150s had a Extended Costumer Satusfaction program for the wastegate rattle but I don't know if newer ones do. @FordTechOne do uou know if they have a ECS for the wastegate rattle on newer vehicles?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is definitely not cam phasers noise. Just typical wastegate rattle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is wastegate rattle. Exact sound ours makes. I know 2017 MY F150s had a Extended Costumer Satusfaction program for the wastegate rattle but I don't know if newer ones do. @FordTechOne do uou know if they have a ECS for the wastegate rattle on newer vehicles?
There was a TSB for 2017 models to add the springs to the linkages, 2018-2020 models already have the springs from the factory. The rattle is just the tolerance built into the linkage for expansion/contraction due to thermal cycling, it’s not detrimental. 2021+ models have a new wastegate actuator design.

Roscoe S

Reaction score
Mine also sounds exactly like that, thank you all for confirming it's not the Cam Phasers . I also got the 21B10 update about a year ago. Never had the Cam Phaser issue

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB for 2017 models to add the springs to the linkages, 2018-2020 models already have the springs from the factory. The rattle is just the tolerance built into the linkage for expansion/contraction due to thermal cycling, it’s not detrimental. 2021+ models have a new wastegate actuator design.
Mine is a 2020 with the same cold start "rattlesnake". Has this issue as long as I can remember with about 38k miles on it now. As much as I hate taking a car back EVER, local $tealership dubbed it "normal" for an ecoboost. So should I be looking for missing springs?

Side bar:
You've seen me bust on $tealerships many times, however, although my trust in the instatution has been forever crushed, this does not mean I don't believe in individual techs and mechanics like yourself. Your and other's wisdom/EXPERIENCE is much appreciated here.