Video: Rock Crawling Last Weekend - this truck is amazing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice vid. In that last shot, you should have kept the driver tires on the rocks, you wouldn't have scraped the rocker.

Rule #1: don’t listen to the wife as a spotter, if in doubt get out and walk it. On that last obstacle keeping the tires on the rocks to the left of the truck (from the truck perspective) was the better move.

OP
OP
TurboTJ

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use crawl assist or free drive it?

I meant to add that to my list. Crawl control worked great going downhill over super rough terrain. Going up, it would come to a stop on a ledge and give too much power and fly up and over the ledge. I used two foot driving on the uphills to control this and trail control on the downs.

Rule #1: don’t listen to the wife as a spotter, if in doubt get out and walk it. On that last obstacle keeping the tires on the rocks to the left of the truck (from the truck perspective) was the better move.

Maybe someday I'll try it again and try that route. I completely agree that it looks better from the video, but that was not what seemed better when crawling around on the rocks and watching what was just below what's in the video.

we have an event in lander wyoming thats all high speed and fun. its about a 6 hour drive from denver. im prerunning it this weekend. i used to rally up and down old stage road down in the springs late night

What's the event?

OP
OP
TurboTJ

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you can say you put it to the test and conquered it. What’s the elevation like up there? Looked pretty high up.

We were camping at about 9000ft, so it was around there. There is a trail further up the canyon that I'm going to try soon that starts at 10,000ft.

Nice vid. In that last shot, you should have kept the driver tires on the rocks, you wouldn't have scraped the rocker.

The more I dissect the video, that route really does look better. I'll have to go back and look at the entire boulder field to understand why we chose the route we did. I agree that I wouldn't have hit my running board on THAT rock at least.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much? Is it the stock one?

I totally agree. It's nice to know the truck can handle these situations but taking a $70k+ truck into the rocks is too freaking stressful! I will not be going back.

Good find. I just missed it where it said "rock slider" when browsing through their page. Think I'll get those ordered!

I agree. Where do you like to go? I've found some good stuff up by Steamboat but that's about it.

It does look that way in the video because you can't see the topology of the rocks very well.

I posted a bad link, but anyway, yes, rock sliders > side steps / running boards.

https://www.addictivedesertdesigns.com/ford-f150-super-duty-side-steps-S1522027001NA/

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The more I dissect the video, that route really does look better. I'll have to go back and look at the entire boulder field to understand why we chose the route we did. I agree that I wouldn't have hit my running board on THAT rock at least.
At least your girl is out there and trying to help. Mine just closes her eyes and says a prayer. Coming down Black Bear in Ouray, that's exactly what she did.
She makes pretty good sandwiches, but otherwise worthless when you leave the pavement.:)

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant to add that to my list. Crawl control worked great going downhill over super rough terrain. Going up, it would come to a stop on a ledge and give too much power and fly up and over the ledge. I used two foot driving on the uphills to control this and trail control on the downs.

Maybe someday I'll try it again and try that route. I completely agree that it looks better from the video, but that was not what seemed better when crawling around on the rocks and watching what was just below what's in the video.

What's the event?
just to tag you in my above comment..... quoted the wrong person

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes it’s stock. Free. You pay shipping which will probably be close to a hundred I’m guessing. It’s big, heavy, needs a big box. I’ll take it to ups store if u want it.

I needed a replacement for my passenger side and so found a new pair on eBay for about 350 bucks. I have my old bent passenger side and new driver side taking up room in my garage.