Video of my cammed full exhaust 5.4L Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As most of you know my other car is a gm ls series powered car. With the stage 1 cam, headers, and a slight bump to compression as well as a little polishing on the heads (no porting) it went from around 285 at the wheels to 425 at the wheels. This includes going from 87 to 93 octane. Some power was lost below 1500 and none was gained until about 2500.

This was with a custom comp cams grind that was extremely similar to their mildest ls2 grind. Motor is a 6.0.

Given the cost especially on an ohc setup I think given the returns I will spend the money on a winch before I get into the motor.

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As most of you know my other car is a gm ls series powered car. With the stage 1 cam, headers, and a slight bump to compression as well as a little polishing on the heads (no porting) it went from around 285 at the wheels to 425 at the wheels. This includes going from 87 to 93 octane. Some power was lost below 1500 and none was gained until about 2500.

This was with a custom comp cams grind that was extremely similar to their mildest ls2 grind. Motor is a 6.0.

Given the cost especially on an ohc setup I think given the returns I will spend the money on a winch before I get into the motor.
You've got about 3x times the amount of work done your car compared to what I have done to my truck. Basically what I have done is equal to sticking a LS6 cam in to an LS1 thats it also I believe I'm being held back by the intake manifold and that is going to be addressed before I go deeper into the motor and do head work or raise the compression.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two more points....

If you put an ls6 cam in an ls1 you have an ls6 (the heads and intake on the 01 and 02 ls1 were updated to ls6 specs... no increase in HP because they put in a milder cam than the 00).... in 02 the ls1 Camaro was rated at 310 HP... the Corvette ls6 was rated at 405... not quite the 100 HP I want if I am switching cams, but close.

Also your post said cam and full exhaust... I have cam full exhaust, and a slight cleanup of the heads... also a Cai that is holding me back as the filter is smaller than the oe one and is only supposed to support 300 HP according to the manufacturer. Hardly 3 times the work...

I am all for everyone modding as they want, but to me the 5.4 is close to its limits na, especially in a truck where low end tq is more important than peak HP...

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Two more points....

If you put an ls6 cam in an ls1 you have an ls6 (the heads and intake on the 01 and 02 ls1 were updated to ls6 specs... no increase in HP because they put in a milder cam than the 00).... in 02 the ls1 Camaro was rated at 310 HP... the Corvette ls6 was rated at 405... not quite the 100 HP I want if I am switching cams, but close.

Also your post said cam and full exhaust... I have cam full exhaust, and a slight cleanup of the heads... also a Cai that is holding me back as the filter is smaller than the oe one and is only supposed to support 300 HP according to the manufacturer. Hardly 3 times the work...

I am all for everyone modding as they want, but to me the 5.4 is close to its limits na, especially in a truck where low end tq is more important than peak HP...
All I have done is a basic hot cam like putting an E cam in a 302 or an LT4 cam in an LT1. You have custom grind despite how small you say it is, it is still a custom cam. You say you raised the compression but didn't say how much you raised it. Also the FRPP Hot Rod cam is the biggest you can buy that doesn't need new springs or cam phaser lock-outs. I could have run a Comp stage 2 SPR cam and still run my stock heads and you would see much bigger gains but I wasn't ready to lose that much MPG. Based on how well the 3v 4.6L responses to mods there is a lot left in these 5.4s

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
half a point in cr...
stock 200/208 .472/.479 116.25 LSA
stage 1 224/224 .568/.568 114 LSA
hot cam 218/227 .525/.525 112 LSA

all three can work with stock valvesprings...

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was all this done for 1300 installed? like completed...not just parts...

for a 40 to 50HP gain...i wouldnt mind paying 1300 dollars, hell most pay 1200 for just an exhaust system that maybe at best provide 20HP...MAYBE, highly doubt it lol

now if thats just parts..not including labor and so on....i would wait for my warranty to run out, then probably look into a super charger...preferably one that is certified, which i have yet to see one from ford, roush or anybody for that matter...that eddlebrock is the heat from the looks of things. :thumpsup2:

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eh..thats a bit pricey...but that still is a gain, and it probably is better than going with force induction...as far as durability goes.

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
eh..thats a bit pricey...but that still is a gain, and it probably is better than going with force induction...as far as durability goes.
All 3v cams are about the same price what it comes down to, is if you what the VCT or not and if you want to use stock valve springs or not. No one that I know of has ever broken a 5.4L crank. Ford uses the same one in all 5.4L whether its in an F-150 work truck or the FGT its still the same crank but Ford uses powder forged rods that are good to about 500-550 hp in non- GT500 5.4L. So all these trucks running around with blowers in the high 400s and low 500s are going to put connecting rod inspections windows in the blocks its just a matter of time.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good info! Thanks tank...I will be sure to keep this in mind when I'm thinking about some significant mods