vibration on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok guys need some insight. truck vibrates only when on the gas. if i let off the gas vibration stops. i first thought it was my tires but wouldnt it do it all the time? i only feel it when im slightly accelerating or maintaining speed. i cant tell where its coming from. the entire truck shakes. not bad, but definitely feel it. where do i look first?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
hubs locked or not and does that make a diff?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a driveshaft U-joint.

Agreed, sounds like a bad u-joint. A tire vibration is speed dependent; it will occur regardless of acceleration.

You can check the u-joints by removing the driveshaft and inspecting each cross and cap for play, roughness, binding, or wear.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You can check by setting the parking brake, put the truck in neutral and twist the driveshaft back and forth by hand and also jostle the driveshaft at each end. If the bearings have enough slop, many times you can see/feel it in the joint. There should be no slop.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can check by setting the parking brake, put the truck in neutral and twist the driveshaft back and forth by hand and also jostle the driveshaft at each end. If the bearings have enough slop, many times you can see/feel it in the joint. There should be no slop.
thanks. easier said than done though. e brake cable is broken. haha. guess i will chock the wheels instead