Viair constant duty onboard air system any my eventual solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I think I can finally bring this saga to a close. Check this out:

1-2.jpg

1a.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

We took some angle iron and cut it down on an angle to match the slope of the frame, popped some threaded holes then MIG welded it to the frame. I could have bolted it instead, using the existing holes that are there, but welding was much easier. Besides, I figured even if I ditch the compressor at some point, I'll definitely use the mounts eventually for somethin.

We mounted the compressor to a stainless plate, hard mounted the coupler to the plate via a bulkhead fitting, wired it up to Aux 3 as before, bolted it down and called it a day.

I decided to reuse the pressure switch, and I upgraded the checkvalve. This way the compressor will turn itself off when I'm not filling a tire. Much better than sitting there spinning at full pressure. This setup seems to work really really well, although I realize the pressure switch is probably the weak link. With that in mind, we left enough lead on the wires so it can easily be bypassed in the wild if needed.

7-2.jpg

Obviously, I ditched the tank. I might regret that at some point, but I'm still thinking of going with a CO2 system too, so I figure that base should be covered. But even so, I retested the compressor only fill from 15 to 44psi and it took just over 3 minutes this time. Much more gooder, and much more in line with dawg's results and what I would expect. Not sure what was up with my original test, but it could be that air was escaping past the gasket on the piston head. When we put the thing back together the final time, we used a real gasket and sealed it with silicone as well, instead of trusting that silly little (swollen) dinky o ring deal that comes from the factory.

What do ya think? Of all the crap this system has put me thru, I think this setup makes it all worth it. Its usable, easily serviceable, and very clean.

The only question I have now is what to put on the other side of that plate :mrgreen:

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great looking setup, I would suggest rocket launchers on the bottom side to blast the larger dunes out of the way. What about mounting your Hi-lift jack on the bottom?

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I think I can finally bring this saga to a close. Check this out:

1-2.jpg

1a.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

We took some angle iron and cut it down on an angle to match the slope of the frame, popped some threaded holes then MIG welded it to the frame. I could have bolted it instead, using the existing holes that are there, but welding was much easier. Besides, I figured even if I ditch the compressor at some point, I'll definitely use the mounts eventually for somethin.

We mounted the compressor to a stainless plate, hard mounted the coupler to the plate via a bulkhead fitting, wired it up to Aux 3 as before, bolted it down and called it a day.

I decided to reuse the pressure switch, and I upgraded the checkvalve. This way the compressor will turn itself off when I'm not filling a tire. Much better than sitting there spinning at full pressure. This setup seems to work really really well, although I realize the pressure switch is probably the weak link. With that in mind, we left enough lead on the wires so it can easily be bypassed in the wild if needed.

7-2.jpg

Obviously, I ditched the tank. I might regret that at some point, but I'm still thinking of going with a CO2 system too, so I figure that base should be covered. But even so, I retested the compressor only fill from 15 to 44psi and it took just over 3 minutes this time. Much more gooder, and much more in line with dawg's results and what I would expect. Not sure what was up with my original test, but it could be that air was escaping past the gasket on the piston head. When we put the thing back together the final time, we used a real gasket and sealed it with silicone as well, instead of trusting that silly little (swollen) dinky o ring deal that comes from the factory.

What do ya think? Of all the crap this system has put me thru, I think this setup makes it all worth it. Its usable, easily serviceable, and very clean.

The only question I have now is what to put on the other side of that plate :mrgreen:
I think this will work well for filling tires. I don't know why I didn't remember this earlier but Snap-on sells a battery powered Impact that is more then capable of breaking the torque for our wheels.
62180.JPG

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=power&item_ID=89671&group_ID=24645&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rocket launchers it is! :thumbsup:

The hilift is awful long. No way it would clear under there. I was thinking of mounting something up top on the driverside. There's a wonderfully blank spot right there begging for something. Maybe a fire extinguisher? Not sure how helpful one would be only accessible under the hood?

I think this will work well for filling tires.
That's exactly the goal. :clap:

I'll check that impact link out. Thanks!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ABC type. No real interest in a Halon system at this time.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ABC type. No real interest in a Halon system at this time.

Unless you're going to use something larger then a 10 LB bottle(even then I would say still mount it inside the cab) if you want it out of your way then that might be a good place but the bed would be better.

The only problem I see with a fire bottle or Halon system being mounted in the bumper is if you a get a good solid front impact you have the potential for rocket launchers. lol

BTW I get a really good discount on Snap-On tools.