Viair constant duty onboard air system any my eventual solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It totally sucks.

After thinking on it for a minute, there's no doubt in my mind they're going to throw it back at me. So rather than go thru that I handed it off to my master tech to see what he can do with it. We rebuild stuff like this all the time, so why not? I'll post up whatever we find.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well hows about that... took the thing apart and the motor spins freely as can be. Lubed the piston and cylinder wall up with some WD40 and she turns over like new.

All we can figure is the thing seized with non-use. Last time I bumped it was maybe a month ago, and it worked fine then. A month later and nothing.

We did see what looks like a very very shallow water line (maybe 1/16"?) up on the piston and area. I haven't gone thru any water with it, especially when it was running. Maybe could be condensation from when it was running, then cooling off. Dunno.

I do know the thing has me nervous to trust it now though. It works fine now (aired down a tire to 15psi, and aired it back up to 44psi using only the pump (took 7minutes by the way)) and now that everything is apart I'm for sure not putting stuff back underneath. Either I come up with some mounting for it and the tank up front in the dead space behind the fascia, or I eBay it and go the CO2 route instead.

Not sure what to do at this point.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear all that J. Viair makes a good product - about as good as any pumps around. Glad you were able to get it working.

I'm glad you were willing to be "our guinea pig" on the a/c install.

This only further reinforced my decision to go with the CO2 tank especially the 7 minutes per tire x 4 = 28 minutes. Too long for me to listen to that thing run...

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No prob Dan. Glad to help if I can.

The 7min was pump only. IRRC with the tank I was down about half that per tire (or maybe even less). The tank makes a huge difference, especially for the first tire or two.

But still, yeah its the slow boat to China compared to CO2.

(PS: Did you air down for DV this last time? The pics don't look like it. How'd she do, either way?)

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my Viair 450P two weeks ago, I aired down to 18 and went back to 44 in 3 minutes 15 seconds. The 450P is a continuous duty compressor. I am very pleased so far. It is small and easy to store. Just a differnet viewpoint

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
(PS: Did you air down for DV this last time? The pics don't look like it. How'd she do, either way?)

I don't air down because I don't have a convenient, versatile way to air back up. But I will soon (anyone else wanna buy a C02 tank? I know where we can get a good price).

The Raptor does great without airing down on everything but soft sand. Sure you'd get more tire on the ground and the ride would be a bit softer but staying aired up has its benefits when you happen upon some "Raptor runways" when you can hit the go pedal and fly...

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I posted that and just after I saw that the Outback thread was revisited (alive). That's the solution. I can check on a discounted price based on volume. If it's just you and me then I'm sure the price will be their standard price which is a lot less than www.PowerTank.com