VHF radio install pic's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to be patient, and you're going to have to almost entirely dismantle your center console.

I had to remove the passenger seat (at least unbolt it and move it out of the way) so I could get enough slack in the carpet to run the antenna cable accross and up to the back of the console.

From there you'll have to remove the 2 8mm bolts near the bottom rear sides of the console so you can lift the console up about an inch or two, giving you enough room to get that large antenna connector routed up and in.

I chose to run my wiring right under the little media hub inside the console. That way the hole i cut will be really hard to see.

i also intend to use the aux in ports on that little media hub in there to pipe the audio from the radio into the built-in stereo system.

I also ran a small amount of cat5 forward to the front of the cup holders and I intend to put a RJ45 jack there on the side of the cupholders so the mic can plug in there.

Be prepared to bleed too :) my hands are all cut up.

But in the end, it will be real clean and OEM like.

awesome!, thank you for taking the time to help. Very much appreciated!

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completed the next phase of the install:

Used a panel mount RJ45 jack and a proclips mount for the mic. It clips into place, so no permanent drilling and i can remove it if I wont be using the radio for a while.

IMG_20180525_1340252.jpg

IMG_20180525_1341129.jpg

Ran the cat5 into the console for the radio

IMG_20180518_0914164.jpg

And mounted the 1/4 wave dual band antenna (Tram, from amazon)

IMG_20180525_1346444.jpg

I ordered a larsen NMOWB150B 1/2 wave for when I really need to reach out and touch someone

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished up the radio install today.

This was tricky, getting these holes lined up. Its still not perfect but probably hard to tell. This is all you can see from outside the console, is two screw heads

IMG_20180528_2010031.jpg

And the radio is mounted inside.

IMG_20180601_1556039.jpg

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok fellas. I’m mounting up my Icom F5021. I bought one unprogrammed on the cheap fro the bay. Bought the programming cd and have been researching. So I added the channels TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY. Does anyone here have instructions or screenshots on how to program an Icom f5021? I have the cd and cable. But have no idea what I’m doing

OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok fellas. I’m mounting up my Icom F5021. I bought one unprogrammed on the cheap fro the bay. Bought the programming cd and have been researching. So I added the channels TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY. Does anyone here have instructions or screenshots on how to program an Icom f5021? I have the cd and cable. But have no idea what I’m doing

try the one and only radio thread. I have it linked on the first post.

Clogking

Reaction score
Well have a Gen 11 (Aluminum no mag mounts) got the third light antenna system....... Is anybody running two radios? In Baja you need Weatherman and a race Freq. What are people doing about that?

everestm

Reaction score
Well have a Gen 11 (Aluminum no mag mounts) got the third light antenna system....... Is anybody running two radios? In Baja you need Weatherman and a race Freq. What are people doing about that?

If you need to monitor two channels at the same time, you can just get a dual receive radio. This is the one I have and it is great.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014544

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a dual band radio with stand alone face. Looking to install the face up top near the sunglass compartment. Anyone care to share their install process?