VHF radio install pic's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What radio did you get?

ICOM F5021 VHF Mobile Radio Chase Pack.

Think I will mount it on the side of the center council on passenger side. Just gotta get the guts to cut a hole on the roof and take the head liner down inside

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the center console installs present a problem. When the lid is closed you can not reach the radio, hear it, or use the mic. So to address those issues order an external speaker, and get a computer patch cable to move the mic outside the box. The only other issue is if you want to adjust the radio you have to open the lid. The lid open while off road is pure torture it slams in to you and slams closed when it feels like it... I have a F5021 if anyone wants to buy one 300 includes mag antenna mount antenna and all instructions. Perfect working order and complete. 6 months old and still under warranty... Free shipping...

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those of you that did the permanent install on the antenna. Did you drop the whole headliner or run it from the side and take out the back seat. Apparently the instructions doesn't even say what drill bit size to drill on the roof lol

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you that did the permanent install on the antenna. Did you drop the whole headliner or run it from the side and take out the back seat. Apparently the instructions doesn't even say what drill bit size to drill on the roof lol

The hole size is either a 3/4" hole saw or 3/8", depending on what you bought.
On my scab, I mounted the antenna towards the middle of the roof. The center rib on the roof has a flat spot just behind the sun roof, under that flat spot is the dome light. I removed the dome light for access. I ran the cable to the back of the cab and accessed that through the 3rd brake light opening. I then ran the cable just inside the headliner to the cab corner, down to the floor, and under the sill plates to the front kick panel and into my dash.

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think I am gonna cut in the back by the brake light and go through that. Was it hard running it on the side or getting the side panel off by the seat. Did ya take the seat out

Last edited:

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Radio was mounted inside the console. Was a little bit of a hassle to grab the mic or hear the radio clearly. I decided to extend the mic jack to the side of the console and use an external speaker. Came out pretty good IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365991588.532918.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365991609.725703.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365991633.744372.jpg

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio was mounted inside the console. Was a little bit of a hassle to grab the mic or hear the radio clearly. I decided to extend the mic jack to the side of the console and use an external speaker. Came out pretty good IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like your mike extension. Did you find one in black, or paint it yourself?