VHF Radio Help Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All -

Just got my radio (Kenwood TK790H I purchased used off ebay) installed, and I'm having a heck of a time getting it to do anything. (Not my handywork)

Here's the install pics:

kY5hgas.jpg
NcblYJX.jpg
kY5hgas

NcblYJX

I think I need to re-program the radio -- cable and software are ordered. But I'm nervous this thing is a brick because I can't get it to make any noise -- not even when I press buttons on the head.

I can get it to cycle through the channels, and the scan/mon buttons seem to work. But theres no sound.

Anyone got ideas or know a good radio shop in the So Cal area that could get it up and running for me?

Thanks!!

--Rob

OP
OP
bradyh20

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was assuming that the handset would be the speaker -- maybe I'm wrong? I also figured the head unit would make it's own beeping noises.

Again -- I'm super newb, and the manuals and googling haven't enlightened me yet...

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Handset is not a speaker. There are 2 faceplate designs, one with speaker, one without. You have the one without.

You need to hook up an external speaker.

OP
OP
bradyh20

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On it. Thanks guys.

Either of you know a good SoCal shop that can get this sorted for me?

evo9rockstar

Reaction score
If you pass by any truck stop they usually have a cb guy or know where one is near by that can help you. It might be your mic or you aren't grounded properly.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Loaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second PCI. Been working with them for years and they know their stuff. Good bunch of people too.