VHF and Licensing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can someone dumb these radios down for me? Why do you need radios like these on runs? Do walkie talkies not work? Cell phones? Also I have a lot walkie talkies at work. Could I use a radio hard wired in my truck to talk to my people on a big construction site? Whats my best option?

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

And why the licensing? is it the same radios that emergency responders communicate on?

I can think of many times I either showed up late or had to run way out back to the main hwy to pick someone up, and that radio allowed me to keep in contact the whole way without interruptions. The range is much better than regular handhelds. On the other hand, you can get a handheld and keep in contact with those who have the VHF's. Only they can reach you, but you may not reach out to them at times.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because in general we use 151.625 which is the off road channel and it is licensed by Bob Weatherman so it is also called weatherman channel. For the most part we are out in the boonies and never interfere with others like commercial since we are way away from any commercial users. These things go along way but they don't go forever. So we typically are more than 50 miles from any commercial traffic and don't have to worry about talking over them. Also we can change channels anytime to get away from others on certain frequencies. In most cases when your running around, you use weatherman channel and others do to. So if you hear someone in need of help out there you can find them and help them also...

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The answer to your question "Do I need a License?" will depend on the type of two-way radio communication and the equipment you will use. Understanding the basics of FCC services will make it clear. The FCC has divided the frequency spectrum into different sections called ‘Bands’ or 'Services'. Bands consist of a range of frequencies. Some bands are licensed and some are not. The following table outlines the different service bands used in land-mobile and marine two-way radios, along with important features of each. Below the table is a description of each type of frequency band.

LMR .. VHF: 150-174MHz UHF: 421-512MHz license required Yes 10 yrs cost of license $320 max channels 512 watts 100 + antenna type any type repeaters allowed Yes business & government Licensee must be 18 years or older. Also called PLMR

MURS .. VHF 151 & 154MHz license required No max channels 5 max watts 2 antenna type fixed No mixed use Limited range. External antenna up to 60ft to extend range

Ham HF, VHF, & UHF license required Yes 10 yrs Also called Amateur radio.
Requires passing an exam.
3 types of license: Technician, General, & Extra

penalty for failing to get licensed Be aware that if you operate a radio transmitter that requires a license, or use a radio that is authorized for use only in a specific service, in another service, you may be fined or imprisoned, and/or the equipment may be confiscated.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up ham tech license since I thought that would help here. Now it seems one would need a commercial, LMR license to operate race radio per your note?

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My notes are right from FCC web site....

this applies to you...

Ham HF, VHF, & UHF license required Yes 10 yrs Also called Amateur radio.
Requires passing an exam.
3 types of license: Technician, General, & Extra
Cost less then 100 per licensed user...

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking the Technician license exam tomorrow, wish me luck guys.

The way I see it, if you arent going to use repeaters then you proboly could get away with never getting your license. But, once you see the usefulness of repeaters, your going to want to use them.

Really guys, its not that bad. I walked into wendys with the portable i bought and the guy taking my order was asking about it. He had the tech license and was taking the next level in a few days. Come on, if the workers at wendys can pass the test, and you drive a raptor, I think we can all pass.

--John