VHF and Licensing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richardhead84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm new to the whole VHF radio thing well any type of radio for that matter. Do you have to get a HAM radio license to use them in your truck? I would be mainly using it for raptor runs. If a license is required and you dont have one can they even find you and what would be the penalties.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On runs typically you use unlicensed channels.. They belong to someone else or are not registered. In these cases having a ham license is no benefit as you are violating FCC rules broadcast on those channels.. Your suppose to at least get the basic license to broadcast on ham channels however I have never heard of anyone getting stopped by anyone for broadcasting on channels without a license. I am not saying its ok and would recommend getting a license at your earliest convenience.

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone dumb these radios down for me? Why do you need radios like these on runs? Do walkie talkies not work? Cell phones? Also I have a lot walkie talkies at work. Could I use a radio hard wired in my truck to talk to my people on a big construction site? Whats my best option?

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

And why the licensing? is it the same radios that emergency responders communicate on?

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Licensing because you use a channel and share the air waves. The FCC prefers everyone know what there doing instead of just pickup a radio and tell people get out of my way. Licensing goes further if you have a construction site of a good size and want to use radios, so your not interfering with Emergency responders and anyone else that may want to use the channel. Walkie talkies are fine but very limited range and only broadcast 1-4 watts typical.. A good truck mounted unit is 25 to 50 watts and more.. Out in the boon docks people do not install Cell towers so cellular phones are worthless without them. A truck mounted unit can be setup to work with job site radios but you have to make sure your on the correct frequency to communicate..

Most truck mounted units are good for 1-50 miles in range depending on Antenna, terrain, cloud cover, weather.. But think about the recent Carson 500 20 trucks all leave the same location two minutes apart. Figure traveling at just 30 miles per hour your going to have a distance of (30mph= 1/2 mile per minute times 40 minutes) 20 miles from the first truck to last.. If everything is exact.. Handhelds are going to work 1-2 miles.. There are several articles here with different radios and places to purchase. I have not heard one person ever say "dam why did I buy a truck mounted radio, should have bought the handheld"... Many people buy both and are happy to have them on the trail...

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are many good reasons to become a licensed ham. One is you'll be able to use your radio when not on runs. In bigger cities it can be very useful for instant traffic conditions and in bad weather some clubs use local repeaters for reporting conditions. There are a lot of other positives, its whether or not you want to take the time and do a little online studying and pass a easy test that costs $15 for 10 years.

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. So whats a good radio then? Ive read many threads about them but Im still lost and there seems to be many different kinds. Looking into the ham license now. Be nice to add to all my current licenses.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a Kenwood TK-970H myself. Picked it up used on ebay for $220. A steal, its a 110 watt radio. Got an antenna from PCI Race Radios (GREAT guys to deal with if your buying new or need service).

Taking the licence test next week....not too much studying necessary if you know a decent amount about electronics.

Icecobra, you have TONS of frequencys to use legally if you are licenced without licencing a particular frequency from what I understand.

--John

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why are all the run frequencies on commercial bands and not on ham bands? How is this legal?