Very strange transmission issue | 2013 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just started happening yesterday and haven't quite figured out what's causing it, but I believe I've figured out how to stop it when it starts.

This has happened 4 times already: From a dead stop I will start going and will hear a grinding/scraping/friction noise coming from the transmission. It almost sounds like the brake caliper is scraping against the rotor, but a lot louder and worse.

It speeds up and gets louder when I accelerate and stops when I let off the gas. It will do this for however long it wants then I will hear a loud *CLUNK* in the transmission and it will stop.

The last time it did this I pulled over, switched to 4H, then to 4L, then back to 2WD and the noise went away which leads me to believe it has something to do with the 4WD.

Anybody have any guesses on what is happening and why the truck seems like it's trying to switch from 2 to 4WD on it's own (or something)... This is disappointing as I've only got 8k miles on the truck and have had it less than 1 year.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: It's been very rainy and wet here the last few days. Not sure if water might have splashed up underneath the truck and got to a sensor on the transmission or something...

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It sounds like your integrated wheel hubs could be partially engaging. I think it's been a common problem on Fords for a lot of years. Check the hoses that are attached to them and make sure there's no vacuum leak.

OP
OP
R

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your integrated wheel hubs could be partially engaging. I think it's been a common problem on Fords for a lot of years. Check the hoses that are attached to them and make sure there's no vacuum leak.

That was exactly the issue! Thanks!!

The passenger side was barely coming off and the driver's side was completely disconnected. The end of the hoses seemed damaged... How does this happen? And warranty should cover it?

Thanks again!

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That was exactly the issue! Thanks!!

The passenger side was barely coming off and the driver's side was completely disconnected. The end of the hoses seemed damaged... How does this happen? And warranty should cover it?

Thanks again!

If I recall correctly the hoses just slip on to the nipples with no other means of attaching them. Could be bad hoses, could have got caught on some branches off roading? Maybe they were never put on correctly? I would definitely think it's a warranty item. That grinding noise you heard was the splines getting chewed up so definitely take her in.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What a horrible system, I have heard of the lines breaking very easily when its cold outside, another member had them break like glass when he touched them.

OP
OP
R

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked the driver's side line back up (even though it's damaged on the tips and all seems to be fine. However when I'm done driving and get out I smell a faint burnt smell. Not sure if it's the rain water that's splashing up underneath the truck and I'm paranoid or if having that line disconnected (and the grinding on and off) for a whole day did some damage.

Either way, looks like I will be taking it to the dealer as soon as they are open again. Tried calling today and they are closed.