Very loud in cabin at speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRQ_Raptor

Reaction score
Searched but didn’t find anything on this.. Currently on a road trip, and it seems like any cruising speed above 60mph, there is a very loud hummm inside the cabin. There is also very slight, what I would describe as high frequency vibrations, throughout the steering wheel and blinker/wiper stalk. The truck is a 2019, 35k miles, on original the BFGs, I have owned it since 29k miles. The tires are almost ready to be replaced so I expect a decent amount of noise from them, but what is going on seems very excessive. I’ll upload a video to YouTube and post here if needed, but has anyone else had a similar experience/issue? I know wheel hubs have not been a largely reported issue but that would normally be my first guess, but I had a reputable shop do a pre-road trip inspection before I departed, and they found everything to be in good order.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
35k miles, on original the BFGs,
There you go.

If the tires are not rotated religiously through all 5 (spare) at 7,000 miles...they cup very bad. cupping = noise and vibration.

even with a 5 tire rotation, any light off roading...BFG will rarely last beyond 40,000 miles. There may be tread left, but the ride is so poor you have to get new tires

OP
OP
SRQ_Raptor

SRQ_Raptor

Reaction score
There you go.

If the tires are not rotated religiously through all 5 (spare) at 7,000 miles...they cup very bad. cupping = noise and vibration.

even with a 5 tire rotation, any light off roading...BFG will rarely last beyond 40,000 miles. There may be tread left, but the ride is so poor you have to get new tires
Putting new tires on ASAP. I always do a 5 tire rotation on my vehicles but I’m afraid the previous owner did not. Hopefully the spare is still usable. I find it interesting that BFG puts a 50k mile warranty on these tires when they’ll never reach that and still be somewhat safe to drive on.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah....there are a few threads about it......they still have tread...but you can actually see the cupping...if you were 100% off road...they would be fine....but on the highway...no bueno.....welcome

OP
OP
SRQ_Raptor

SRQ_Raptor

Reaction score
What kind of tires are the mall crawlers running? I off-road maybe only 10% of the time I use the truck. Seems like the BFGs, as much as I like them, aren’t the best choice.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does it make the same noise in 4A? I would test that at speed... if it does NOT, replace the IWE check valve. If the noise is still present, likely a wheel bearing. My driver side bearing when t!ts up at 30k miles... if it is, you should be able to notice which side it is coming from. I suppose it could be the pinion bearing too, but unlikely.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What kind of tires are the mall crawlers running? I off-road maybe only 10% of the time I use the truck. Seems like the BFGs, as much as I like them, aren’t the best choice.
My Cooper AT3 XLTs are the best tire I've ever run on a truck... super quiet, E rated, very good offroad - marginal in mud though...

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Putting new tires on ASAP. I always do a 5 tire rotation on my vehicles but I’m afraid the previous owner did not. Hopefully the spare is still usable. I find it interesting that BFG puts a 50k mile warranty on these tires when they’ll never reach that and still be somewhat safe to drive on.
Please show me any tire that lasts as long as the warranty says it will.

The whole mileage warranty is a marketing/sales gimic.

Normally any tire will fall short by about 25%. So you go to claim the warranty and they prorate it. You got 75% life so you have to pay 75% of the new tire.

This is basically a buy 3 get the 4th one free coupon. Are you really going to throw $250-300 away and switch tires, of which you would have to pay 100%.

Unless you are really disappointed in a tire it sure makes it hard to change brands.

Makes it easy to stay brand loyal though.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is a Scab I’d check the door hinge bolts for tightness. It’s pretty important for the door to make good contact to the seals, if not, you will get a lot of noise in the cab. It’s likely tire noise, but doesn’t hurt to check.