"Very Clean" Used Raptor....(please don't look too closely)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and looked at a "very clean" 2019 Raptor today that was a touch overpriced IMO but figured we'd see if it was worth it then start working our way from there. Plus it had the blue Recaro seats, which I hadn't tried yet, so two birds one stone.

"Very Clean" Raptor looked pretty clean if you only looked up top. New tires, a couple very light scratches that clay bar and polish would probably take care of, obviously had been detailed pretty nicely. But then I looked under it. Previous owner definitely enjoyed his Raptor, and good on him. 4-6" of mud and dead grass caked along the frame rail. Some pretty impressive scratches on multiple skid plates, one hit hard enough to leave a dent about as big around as a beer can and maybe 1/4-3/8" deep at it's most deformed. Tow hitch looked well used as well. Aftermarket light bar installed in front of the turbo intercooler (why?) and while it was wired to one of the factory switches there was also a gizmo on the dash to change the colors and intensity of it.

Saleskid tried to tell me the blue interior was a feature of Perfomance Blue exterior paint choice. Nice enough, just not real up on what he's selling (and it was a Ford dealer). He didn't seem real sure what to do when I crawled under it, but he eventually got down with me. I pointed out the issues to him, told him maybe have it powerwashed before showing it to the next guy but I wasn't interested, and left my contact number if they get another in that's a little more "little old lady drove it to church" type shape.

I'm looking at two out of state that I'd need to fly in and drive home, just trying to get someone who knows WTF they are talking about to answer some questions and take some additional photos. Buying a used truck remotely requires some significant dilligence to avoid surprises, I think. I'd hate to fly in and fly out empty handed because of some unknown issue.

Complete side note: Saw a Super Duty fire on the way home from the dealership. Lawn care service truck with the trailer still hooked up, front end fully engulfed, two guys out on the side of the road and one was on his cell. Since they didn't look panicked like someone might still be inside figured there wasn't anything I could do to help and kept on rolling.

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you’re located in the Midwest. You might be interested in the 2020 Race Red Raptor I traded-in on my 2022 Raptor to a dealer here in Wisconsin several weeks ago. Just checked and it’s still showing in their inventory. It’s perfect!! I’d stack it up to any used Raptor anywhere! PM me if I peaked your interest.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good on you for getting under it. I got some crazy looks at dealers when buying mine as I would throw on a flight suit, gloves, and pull my creeper out to roll under every truck I looked at. Don’t want to end up with something that wasn’t taken care of if you can avoid it.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kind of lazy detail job wouldn’t fly at my shop. Its just hard to believe sales try to pass these off like the people that want them aren’t going to look it ALL over lol

And it's a Ford Certified used one, so you would think it had been up on a lift at some point. I get they aren't going to replace the skids and someone who doesn't know or care will buy it regardless but it was a lot of mud. No way you could overlook it.

Am I wrong in thinking that putting a light bar right in front of the intercooler is a bad plan? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but reducing the airflow through that area seems less than ideal.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Well where i work the certified vehicles are “supposed” to be in nearly excellent shape..no major damage and minimal dings and scratches (to a point) sales sometimes does sales things like you saw. It does happen everywhere unfortunately.

The thing i hate the most is when they make us try to hide stuff like a rusty frame etc..

Idk how much flow itd block but I wouldn’t think thats an ideal location

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that shape I would be looking to pay "a touch underpriced". Then you have some wiggle room to detail it and perhaps replace some parts. If you can get the price down and the milage is not high, test drive it....thoroughly! This means get it on gravel or dirt to test off road modes. Make sure all wheels have power going to them and drive components are not worn out. If you can, get it up on a lift and check for excessive play on everything from wheel bearings to U-joints. If you are not comfortable doing all this, take it to a private shop and buy an hour of their time and ask them to see if anything is wrong with the truck.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a Raptor. Not a little old lady car.

Sure. No reason to buy a thrashed one when there's plenty of clean ones on the market in the same price range though. It's not like it's a rarity to find.

In that shape I would be looking to pay "a touch underpriced". Then you have some wiggle room to detail it and perhaps replace some parts. If you can get the price down and the milage is not high, test drive it....thoroughly! This means get it on gravel or dirt to test off road modes. Make sure all wheels have power going to them and drive components are not worn out. If you can, get it up on a lift and check for excessive play on everything from wheel bearings to U-joints. If you are not comfortable doing all this, take it to a private shop and buy an hour of their time and ask them to see if anything is wrong with the truck.

Agreed, if I wanted to be bothered with it. As is, my watch list has 7 nearly identical trucks with similar miles in a +/-2k price range in a radius I'm willing to drive home from. Not worth my time to try and beat them down to a reasonable price then play project car and still have the aftermarket junk I don't want to deal with.