Ver Ver ****!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poor Raptor! Seems she did not like Baha mode much today. Took her to a nice desert play area, ratted around trails ranging from crawl to 80+. Total time about 30 min. She performed better than any rig I have ever owned (and that's lots over the years). Pictures to follow. But just before getting back to the pavement a strong noise from the turbos, a loud whine that varied with peddle and RPM. Open the hood....nothing to see here and no whine at idle. Drive some more taking it easy as I can limp back to town to pick up that fire extinguisher I had been meaning to buy for the truck. While in the store I though perhaps my little plastic gas jug might have come loose and bumped the on board generator switch and the extra alternator was loaded and creating the whine. ...Nope, no gen going full tilt. I even tried turning the generator fully off, whine still there and 40 miles to the dealer. We take off and about 10 miles down the road I check for boost on the digital display....none! Next thought was perhaps I blew a hose from the intercooler...that could account for whine and no boost. Stopped to check....don't see anything. Take off again but now the whine is gone. still no boost and she is really acting weak. We cruse really easy at 60 down the freeway for another 30 miles an pull into the dealer. Now I can clearly see excess smoke coming from the passenger tail pipe. Well that was the final clue that the passenger side turbo had lost it's bearing and seal and was now pumping oil into hot exhaust = smoke. Left it with "Vern", he is going to come in tomorrow, a Saturday just to run diagnostics (I have a great dealer). My sales rep set me up with a brand new Edge as a loaner till she is fixed. I can tell you what! My Raptor has really spoiled me...that Edge sucks! Hoping turbos are easy to get and in stock. Down side....no Raptor for awhile, good news....good income for the service department.

Last edited:

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man, that’s one sad song she’s hum’en! Hopefully your dealer can get you squared away rather quickly. I’m a little jealy of your play area!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hope your dealer gets it fixed quickly for you. Let us know what the diagnosis is! Hopefully no debris got in the motor.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would look very close for intake air leaks. Does not take much to dirt/dust to wipe out turbos and destroy an engine.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79 turbo cobra mustang
84 Chrysler laser
87 callaway twin turbo
94 turbo diesel suburban
19 raptor
Turbos can go anytime but mostly after 75,000 miles had a couple go twice that.
No biggie
Turbos can rotate at 130,000 rpm or so.
Best is run a good synthetic( redline for me) and let idle for 15 seconds or so before shutdown helps ease heat soak.
Just my experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir