Venom Power Terra Hunter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ERF-RAPTOR

Reaction score
I've searched the forum for reviews on this tire and haven't seen any. I'm pretty dead set on getting these for my Gen 1, as they have a 50k mile tread warranty. Does anyone have experiences with them? Thanks, fellas!

venom power terra hunter.jpg

OP
OP
ERF-RAPTOR

ERF-RAPTOR

Reaction score
I see, the quick search I did brought up an f https://simpletire.com/paid?v=1&tir...hXAb94EHvt3wDKAG_P4WGw65SqzL2QABoCO7MQAvD_BwE

E is still not good, look for a load range C

Why? It looks like the maximum tire pressure for C is less than it would be for an E tire. How does this translate into better ride quality? Wouldn't we want tires that could handle more PSI etc? For example, my buddy has the Toyo Open Countrys, and they have a load range of "E" and ride great.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? It looks like the maximum tire pressure for C is less than it would be for an E tire. How does this translate into better ride quality? Wouldn't we want tires that could handle more PSI etc? For example, my buddy has the Toyo Open Countrys, and they have a load range of "E" and ride great.
You want tires that handle higher PSI if you are hauling heavy loads and towing a lot, but for light trucks that rely on pliable tires (lower load range) a lot of ride comfort comes from the tire as well as the shock. The tire can act almost as a damper with the shock when inflated to proper PSI and load range for different weight class of vehicles. Load range F would be great for those guys with 37" tall tires on their dually's IMO

All else equal, load range C will undeniably ride softer (maybe not noticeably depending on how fresh your shocks are) than a load range F or E tire.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Small bump compliance will invariably be better with the lower load range. The Raptor is limited in payload by the suspension, so throwing high load rating tires at it doesn't do any good. There is a misconception that higher load range tires are more durable, they are not: those two things are unrelated.

Another penalty with higher load range tires is they tend to be heavier. Weight at the tire/axle (unsprung mass) is no good for ride quality. The more unsprung weight the more work the shocks have to do. Also worse for acceleration and fuel economy.

Another factor is speed rating, this is the maximum speed the tire is rated to run at continuously. The Terra Hunter E is a speed rating T (118mph), which is quite good for an off road tire. The BFG raptor tires (gen 2) are an "S" (which is 112mph). The very popular Cooper Discoverer AT3 is 106mph. It's a number worth looking at, I have seen speed designations as low as P on off road tires.

Tires should be selected to match the vehicle, the way its used, weather, terrain, cabin comfort (noise, ride) and the owners budget. They should not be selected because they "look cool". Generally for a Raptor your best bet is a lightweight load range C. If you deal with a lot of snow or mud go with a mud terrain and suck up the noise penalty. If you deal mostly in desert and highway an all terrain is all you need.

Most of the tires that are popular on this forum are popular for a reason.