Vehicle Security System, Remote Start Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I received the parts from LevittownFordSuperCenter.com for my next project for my Raptor. The goal is to add the vehicle security system and 2-way bidirectional remote start to my Raptor for extended range and get feedback for when the truck is not within view. I thought about getting the remote access system as many others have done but I have no need to start my vehicle from 1000 miles away nor do I want to pay for the yearly data plan, besides I can always add it later if I deem it necessary. The parts I ordered are: the BIDIRECTKIT, LED, Vehicle Security System.

VSSampRSupgrade001_zps02ffed34.jpg

VSSampRSupgrade002_zps7c8357a5.jpg

If the weather clears up I will try to get this stuff installed this weekend and I will post some feedback as to how well it works.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you don't mind, how much for these parts? Looks like an easy install.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

10388-fms-website2.jpg

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The total was $334.03 and here is breakdown of the cost per item.

1 x Ford F-150 Anti Theft Flasher (DM5Z-19D596-A) = $12.29
1 x Ford F-150 Remote Start System - '11-'14 - Bi-Directional (BIDIRECTKIT) = $145.08
1 x Ford F-150 Vehicle Security System - '11-'14 (DL3Z-19A361-A) = $162.63
UPS (Ground) = $14.03

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: I love it when a plan comes together. I got this installed this morning using the install instructions http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo..."sandybrown">installation instructions</font> posted by "The Wolf" and it is working very good but it will probably need some tweaking to get the sensitivity of the VSS just right. I'm also experimenting with placement of the bi-directional antenna and I have not decided where to put the LED. I did a quick test for distance of the remote start and I was able to start the truck from approx. 500 feet away. Edit: I just did a second distance test, I walked 280 paces away from my truck and the truck started. That's two city blocks or roughly 800-1000 feet on a line of sight test, not to shabby.

It turned out that I did not need one of the antenna (DA8Z-15603-A) that came in the BIDIRECTKIT since my truck came from the factory with remote start and already has the TPM antenna. It is the antenna on the right hand side of this pic.

VSSampRSupgrade002_zps7c8357a5.jpg

I mounted the VSS to a dash support brace that is directly behind the instrument cluster as seen in this pic.

VSSinstall002_zpsd51b76bd.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

My VSS is mounted the air duct as per the manual. When I was in there, I noticed when you bump the wheel, it moves in comparison to the metal. I would think the sensitivity is better on the air duct since it moves when movement is in the truck.

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My VSS is mounted the air duct as per the manual. When I was in there, I noticed when you bump the wheel, it moves in comparison to the metal. I would think the sensitivity is better on the air duct since it moves when movement is in the truck.

The install guide did say to mount it to the air duct but I felt that a more rigid surface would transmit the vibrations better. When I bump the steering wheel it does not take much to get the horn to honk and bump it a little harder for the full alarm. I even set off the alarm by bumping the running board. Like I said I'm still making adjustments so I will just have to wait and see how well it works.

scarrjack

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, so is it possible to just extend the factory remote starter and add the 2 way functionality without adding the Ford vehicle security system? Does it use a new fob, how does it let you know if the truck starts?

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, so is it possible to just extend the factory remote starter and add the 2 way functionality without adding the Ford vehicle security system? Does it use a new fob, how does it let you know if the truck starts?

The vehicle security system is required as the bi-directional antenna plugs into this unit and the VSS is what communicates with the truck. There is a new fob and the start button lights up green when the truck starts and flashes while the truck is running. The original key/fobs still function as they did from the factory.

treatcg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it need to be dealer flashed/activated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk