VDM Issue, Need Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan Fowler

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have ran into a big problem with my 2020 Raptor. I had Geisers, RPG UCA, and ADD tie rods put on the front and Deavers +3, RPG traction bars put on the back. Everything was working great but I needed an alignment and an oil change, so I took it to a Ford Dealership near me. I figured while I was there I would have the VDM recalibrated for the new ride hight as suggested here. However, when the tech runs the IDS program it says completed but does not zero out the numbers, infact it has caused a Code C1124 and now will not allow me to use the drive modes or stereing modes. Also everytime I start the truck or stop while driving i get the message "Drive Control Malfunction, Service Required." I have the same experience on Forscan when I try to recalibratethe VDM ride hight. The Dealership tech has been a great help and talked to an engineer from Ford who basically said that the parameters for the VDM only allow the truck to be calibrated when sitting at 151mm (+or-12mm) in the front, mine is currently sitting at 191mm. Ive talked to everyone I can think of; the shop that installed the springs, Deavers, Geiser, RPG, SVT, Offroad Alliance. Just trying to find anyone that can help. I've even reach out to GooseTuned, who tuned the truck (and has also worked wonders). Maybe I need something fabricated that will allow the sensors to be within parameters or some kind of software fix to trick the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all! Gratuitous truck pics included.
20210702_094947.jpg20210624_194941.jpg20210411_154925.jpg20210702_094916.jpg20210624_195118.jpg

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the wiring harness to the rear shocks? Clear and reset the DTC in Forscan? If you cleared and reset, did it come back?

OP
OP
Evan Fowler

Evan Fowler

Reaction score
All the wiring has been checked and rechecked. Ive cleared it in forscan and it still comes right back. Even tried unplugging my battery for 30mins and it was still present when I started it back up. Its definitely the front shocks from what the dealership says.

OP
OP
Evan Fowler

Evan Fowler

Reaction score
The tech verified that the sensors worked by taking them off the shock and moving them around, the IDS showed they changed reading. I get funky number on Forscan so maybe that is it. Oh and its the Alcon BBK, not covers

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The DTC C1124 sets to indicate that the ride height calibration procedure has not been completed; it does not indicate anything is wrong with the system. Once the calibration procedure is initiated with IDS, you cannot cancel and revert to the previous settings. This is why it didn’t set the DTC and error message until the procedure was attempted.

With the ride height being outside of the+/- 12mm tolerance, you may need a custom calibration for the VDM; I’m curious what Goose Tuned will say. As far as getting the error to clear in the meantime, you may want to try disconnecting each ride height sensor and manually moving them to an in range position. The voltage can be monitored with IDS or ForScan to ensure they’re even. Then attempt the ride height calibration routine and see if it completes successfully.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont Know if you did a slot delete with the upper control arms. But if you tighten the lower control arms without the weight of the truck on them it can raise the front about an inch higher.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
dont Know if you did a slot delete with the upper control arms. But if you tighten the lower control arms without the weight of the truck on them it can raise the front about an inch higher.
Good point, that will also cause damage to the LCA bushings. I believe he had a shop do the install.