Valve Cover Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is a late build 18 and was bought new. Recently I decided to replace the spark plugs with the 542's that I've had for at least 2 years. This is a low miles truck with only 22000 on the clock, so first time the engine cover was removed and of coarse I was shocked to see the puddle of oil on the driver's side valve cover. I have already read many times about valve covers cracking so the next problem was finding one. All of my local dealers informed me about the serious back order on the cover so I found one on Ebay at a dealer in CA. A week later I installed the new part and did the plugs. Truck seems to run better, and after careful inspection of the old valve cover all I see is the gasket is pushed away where the intake port passes through. I'm surprised it didn't use any oil as it could be an easy path for an internal blow by leak and not external like mine was doing. I really hope it doesn't happen again as I could not get the latest G part number valve cover due to supply issues. Time will tell...

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently removed engine cover to replace plugs on my 2017 at 96k miles. Noticed the puddle of oil the OP mentioned and also most of driver side valve covered in light film of oil. I cleaned it up an found the crack in the valve cover. Damn it.

The quickest appointment i could make at the dealer is almost 3 weeks away. I have an extended warranty for 100k miles, so i hope that will cover it.

OP, how hard was your install? Any surprises?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fastback89

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was not bad, although the intake has to be removed. If you are somewhat mechanical you should fine. I would allow 1-2 hours max. My biggest issue was finding one. Hopefully your local dealers can get it for you.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They confirmed to me they could get the parts in about 5 days and committed to ordering them so they’ll be on hand when I come in.

horizon670

Reaction score
Same issue here with the leaking head cover. Found exactly the location of hair thin crack. I wonder if it can be removed and repaired professionally, rather than buying a new one...

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether it's repairable, but for me, I wouldn't go through the trouble of remove and replace without going back with a new cover. I don't think the part is super expensive. Also, I noticed the part # has changed, so perhaps they made some sort of improvement? Others here might know the answer to that one.

Because I had some aluminum tape on hand and I have to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment at the dealer. I decided to try a temporary patch with a small piece of tape. I first degreased the area containing the crack and then simply stuck a piece of tape over the crack. I didn't expected this to work, but what the hell. I have been making short trips for a couple of days now and it's holding so far. I was going to drive the truck until I can get in the shop anyway, but I prefer not to have oil everywhere. I have a 100 mile trip tomorrow, so we'll see if that tape adhesive can stand the heat. :oops:

I would do this job myself, but I have 4k miles left on my extended warranty.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response.

You have probably moved on by now, but my research shows a part number of HL3Z-6582-G.

I was scheduled in for the work next Monday and the dealer called yesterday to say they're having trouble finding the part. Dang.

JLIVI-67

Reaction score
My Raptor is a late build 18 and was bought new. Recently I decided to replace the spark plugs with the 542's that I've had for at least 2 years. This is a low miles truck with only 22000 on the clock, so first time the engine cover was removed and of coarse I was shocked to see the puddle of oil on the driver's side valve cover. I have already read many times about valve covers cracking so the next problem was finding one. All of my local dealers informed me about the serious back order on the cover so I found one on Ebay at a dealer in CA. A week later I installed the new part and did the plugs. Truck seems to run better, and after careful inspection of the old valve cover all I see is the gasket is pushed away where the intake port passes through. I'm surprised it didn't use any oil as it could be an easy path for an internal blow by leak and not external like mine was doing. I really hope it doesn't happen again as I could not get the latest G part number valve cover due to supply issues. Time will tell...
Hello, where were you able to find valve covers, I own an 18 3.5L and am in need of both left/right valve covers,. Any help.. ? Thanks Jeff