Value of Ford ESP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lacajun25

Reaction score
What is the value of the Ford ESP? I’m considering a 2013 Raptor that is for sale from a private owner that another forum member put me in touch with.

The 2013 has 40k miles currently and had a Roush supercharger added to it at 28k. The previous owner got the Premium Care plan good until 2022 or 100k miles. The plan is transferable with $75 fee.

I checked Flood ford but it says I can’t buy an ESP for vehicles not covered by factory warranty.

The truck is in another state so I had a friend look at it today and he said the brakes felt “squishy “ and that the steering wasn’t as responsive as he thought it should be. But he also doesn’t have a frame of reference not haven driven a raptor before.

My impression is that the gen 1 trucks were very reliable if you took care of the truck aside from regular maintenance. Key point is if the truck was cared for.

Can you still buy an ESP for the gen 1 trucks? Im considering a 2014 with 57k miles at a dealer but don’t really know how well it was taken care of. Having a warranty in this case definitely would give me peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Flood Ford is a third party warranty company.

Give Ford warranty a call and find out about Ford warranties.

https://fordprotect.ford.com/

I had to purchased a second ESP Ford warranty before my first ran out two years ago.
And I purchased my Raptor from a dealer in Texas and had it shipped to me directly.
My preferred dealer here in NY had no problems selling me the second one.
But it's only 5 years and I forget the mileage (70,000) I think.
It's, 0 deductible at my preferred dealer and $50 deductible at any other Ford dealer.
They call it a rolling deductible.

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The value of an ESP? Depends on your specific situation and how fat your wallet/bank account is I suppose. Can you afford the hit of say, a grand or two for a repair job on a major component or do you have a 2nd vehicle in case the truck is down for an extended amount of time? Those are questions only you can answer.

The $75 transfer fee for that seller's ESP on the truck sounds well worth it IMHO (read the fine print though as I'm curious how they were able to even obtain coverage on a supercharged truck; was it a dealer install or aftermarket / additional "rider" fee for supercharger warranty coverage or something or is the supercharger and its supporting components not covered in the event the ESP has to be used for a parts failure?).

Yes, 1st gens are pretty reliable overall; the factory brakes certainly aren't "sports car" stopping level & the power steering system might be in need of service. The PS pump/rack can go bad (fluid, etc) from heavy off-roading/usage but those observations from your test driving friend might be related to their lack of raptor seat time/lack of comparison like you mentioned.

@MTF - Since when has Flood Ford been considered a 3rd party ? Did something change ?

IIRC they ARE an actual brick & mortar Ford dealership in Rhode Island who were selling the same ESPs that your local ford dealer sales guy was selling at an inflated/overpriced price point. What happened...?

OP
OP
L

Lacajun25

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will give Ford a call to ask about it and will take a look at the warranty contract again. Seller says that it was a dealer install of the Roush package but I’ll check to make sure.

But, you’re right, it is greater peace of mind having a warranty than not.

I forgot to mention that it was an ESP and a premium care maintenance plan as well. So I guess I could use the service plan for the brakes and the anything else that may pop up.

I wonder if I could get the shocks rebuilt or replaced under the service plan when they reach their end?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF - Since when has Flood Ford been considered a 3rd party ? Did something change ?

IIRC they ARE an actual brick & mortar Ford dealership in Rhode Island who were selling the same ESPs that your local ford dealer sales guy was selling at an inflated/overpriced price point. What happened...?

There are just insurance underwriters, third party may be the wrong description.
And they were not cheaper then my local Ford dealer when I bought my second ESP.
And they did not have a $0 deductible plan.

I was just telling the OP to call Ford Warranty directly!

From Flood Auto Group's website:

Ford ESP is now Ford Protect!!

Ford Protect is the closest thing to your original Ford Warranty. These plans are the same ones you would purchase at your local Ford and Lincoln dealerships, but offered for much less. Ford Protect contracts are backed by Ford Motor Company.

These Ford Protect contracts are sold by Flood Auto Group in Rhode Island. They are honored at all Ford and Lincoln dealerships nationwide.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will give Ford a call to ask about it and will take a look at the warranty contract again. Seller says that it was a dealer install of the Roush package but I’ll check to make sure.

But, you’re right, it is greater peace of mind having a warranty than not.

I forgot to mention that it was an ESP and a premium care maintenance plan as well. So I guess I could use the service plan for the brakes and the anything else that may pop up.

I wonder if I could get the shocks rebuilt or replaced under the service plan when they reach their end?

You can certainly have Ford warranty if it has a Supercharger.
But any claims to the drivetrain and they can prove it's related to the Supercharger can be denied.

Shocks are considered a wear item unless there's a physical defect your not going to get it covered.
I did get one front shock covered because you could see the seal was leaking and it was under 25,000 miles,
Ford wouldn't replace both fronts and you could take the front of my truck bounce it by hand, so I had to buy the other front.

Last edited:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can certainly have Ford warranty if it has a Supercharger.
But any claims to the drivetrain and they can prove it's related to the Supercharger can be denied.

Shocks are considered a wear item unless there's a physical defect your not going to get it covered.
I did get one front shock covered because you could see the seal was leaking and it was under 25,000 miles,
Ford wouldn't replace both fronts and you could take the front of my truck bounce it by hand, so I had to buy the other front.

Who will actually give you a warranty if you have a SC? I talked to 4-5 places and none would touch with a 10 ft. pole...? Maybe you found that Unicorn out there? But problem is even if there is someone that will,ya know anything that goes wrong will be the SC fault...o_O

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who will actually give you a warranty if you have a SC? I talked to 4-5 places and none would touch with a 10 ft. pole...? Maybe you found that Unicorn out there? But problem is even if there is someone that will,ya know anything that goes wrong will be the SC fault...o_O

Ford does and has.
Hell, Champion Ford in Texas where I bought my truck and sold me the Ford Gold/Premium ESP $0 deductible warranty was going to send my truck to Hennessey for the Procharger. Glad I said no!!!

The problem you may have, is your warranty ran out, my dealer told me, "you can not extend your original warranty if it runs out".
So I renewed my warranty two weeks before my $0 deductible 7y/1000,000 warranty ran out. I'm now good to Nov 2022
I can post up the warranty if you need to see it.

Now I don't understand why they wouldn't sell you a warranty they know damn well the SC wouldn't be covered and claims related to the SC will be denied but all else would be covered.
Maybe your asking them to sell you a warranty that will cover the Supercharger, I don't know, I'm not there.

Last edited:

Cliff Lohner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased ESP for my Gen 1 a long time ago when my warranty expired. It paid itself off after my sunroof broke and they had to replace the whole thing. When I sold my Gen 1, I was refunded the prorated portion. My Gen 2 is in warranty for 2 more years but when it gets close to running out I will be purchasing ESP again.

OP
OP
L

Lacajun25

Reaction score
From speaking with the person that I'm buying the truck from, the CA dealer installed the stage 2 Roush kit and sold a 4 year ESP and service plan with the truck. I figure the SC and any related components will be a dice roll if it goes bad. Originally I was wondering if it was worth my effort to buy/negotiate the truck without the ESP, but others have made good points and its better overall to get it with the the warranties and have the peace of mind.

I don't pick up the truck for another 2 weeks because of my scheduling so it's like a Christmas present for me.

The owner is going to figure out paying off Ford credit and all the title stuff since its a CA truck and I'm in TX. I'm hoping its pretty simple for her to do and I'll have a sweet ride come Christmas day.