Validation for 5k Oil Change Intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I asked my service advisor what was the highest mileage gen 2 raptor he’s seen. His response was “I have one customer with over 250k”. He saw the shock in my face as I responded “Seriously? How?”, His response “He is meticulous with his maintenance and changes his oil every 5k miles” he then proceeded to tell me something similar to what the guy in the video said. After that convo, I started changing my oil every 5k and I’m not sure if it’s a placebo effect but I felt like my engine performance started to improve.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s good advice in general as well. The people who fall under the “severe” maintenance schedule tend to be the same ones that think the 10k OCI applies regardless of use case. Then they turn in the lease or trade it, and the subsequent buyer gets screwed.

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Overkill. But you do you. No need to get into another internet oil war.
You wouldn't say that if you took engines apart everyday like @FordTechOne and myself do.

I will post pictures later. But before I get to my computer to do that. Ask yourself this question.

Why is it that if oil has gotten so much better (which is has) is average engine life not 300k miles today vs 40 years ago when it was 100k?

(Answer: extended drain intervals)

My friend runs an aftermarket warranty company. They run data spread sheets on repairs daily. They have data that shows the average engine needs replacement or major repairs at 113,000 miles

This is 100% due to lack of maintenance and the manufacturers love it.

Last edited: