GEN 1 Vacuum System 101?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to educate myself a bit more on the vacuum system - specifically regarding the IWEs since I've had my share of issues.
I'll list out the basics I understand and I'm hoping a guru can expand on them.

Things I understand.
Engine Vacuum is used to maintain 2wd by retracting/disengaging the IWEs.
I understand how the IWEs work and carry a spare. I've watched a video about how to replace one, but haven't myself yet.
I understand there is a check valve (can I get a part number?) and a purge valve (part number too please?). I'd like details about these. Is there one of each per IWE vacuum line? I assume the check valve is simply a one way valve, though I don't quite understand what that accomplishes in this application. Is the purge valve basically the actuator which engages/disengages vacuum to that line? What other devices are in play for an IWE line itself.

Little bit of back story. I've broken two axles and toasted a couple IWEs - but it's ALWAYS the driver's side. Last time I was out playing my driver's side IWE started slipping out and I was losing 4 wheel drive. Luckily this was literally at the end of my trip on the way back to camp. Dealer tore it down and found no issues. I can't make it happen again, though I suspect that under heavy load it will. IWE looks fine, supposedly vacuum is fine. I almost wonder if whatever actuates the vacuum might be allowing some vacuum past when it shouldn't be (in 4wd) and putting just enough vacuum on the line that when under heavy load it disengages. I won't know if it's still happening until I go try to have some fun again, and I'd rather it not happen! These vacuum devices seem very inexpensive, so I think I'd like to slap in some new ones and carry some spares.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dane,
I restored a 1955 C3PW Dodge PowerWagon that had vacuum wipers. When the engine was under load the wipers would stop...going up hill in rain was an adventure...coasting down hill those wipers would slap back and forth like Thurmon Munson and Reggie Jackson!

Eddie