Using OE fuse block under hood for power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently installed some Rigid LED's in the rear bumper and bought a Starkey harness for this exact purpose. It comes in SWB and LWB version for the F-150. I could have made the harness myself but for $120 it was worth it. Seems like most people tap off the b/u lights or the trailer harness if equipped. The Starkey harness uses a rear mounted relay to control the lights so it runs power (with inline fuse) and ground from the battery to the back. I'll post more about this later.

As for the power leads; they come with ring terminals of the correct size to connect to the battery. Rather than complicate things there I was considering using a spare fuse slot in the main fuse/relay box located under the hood in the front. Didn't want to use an upfitter for this as I have plans for them later.

Does anyone know what brand/style or type of connector Ford uses in the fuse block? There are some junkyard F-150 blocks for sale on eBay but most of the wiring has been chopped down. I want to use new terminal I can crimp on and not splice. Going for the factory look and want this harness to just blend it.

If anyone has a spare block and can remove and post a pic of a terminal that holds a fuse blade that would be great.

OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no replies huh?

From what I've read on the internet this weekend I'm not the only one asking this question. Almost every post ends in "I just went to the junkyard" after lots of posted links that "might carry what you need."

Well here is what I know so far. On my truck there are a lots of open slots for the mini fuses and a few for the J-case low-profile cartridge fuse. 11 and 71 are mentioned in the manual but my Raptor has neither and the load side of the slot is open (no connector).

11 – 30 amp Power running board motors
50 – not used
64 – not used
70 – not used
71 – 20 amp Heated rear seats

I popped out the two most common terminals. The cartridge fuses use a .25" male spade. The low-profile mini fuses use what I have found commonly referred to as "tuning fork" terminals. Still searching for either of these but here are some pics.

Used fuse boxes from an F-150 seem to be hot property on eBay going anywhere from $120 to $200! Again, if anyone has one i'd be interested in buying some or all of it.

Attachments

• DSCN7207.jpg
    DSCN7207.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN7209.jpg
    DSCN7209.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN7210.jpg
    DSCN7210.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't get a replacement wire or pigtail from Ford?

I haven't been down to the dealer to ask but looking at the Motorcraft Technician catalog I found online I can't seem to find any. Most of the pigtails and terminals all seem to be for inline connectors.

I thought it would be easier to find as well but like I said every source I can find all seem to be dead ends when it comes to the fuse box terminals.

OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f10/oem-real-deal-ambient-lighting-discussion-39054/index3.html
This guy got some service pigtails from Ford on his project. This is an interesting read.

Oh yeah it is! I read the entire thread when I first found it doing a search for interior lighting kits - sick work. Most of the service pigtails he uses I have found. Again they are all for inline style connectors to where a harness terminates into a device or receptacle. I spent some time last night going through the parts catalog for my truck, nothing for the fuse box is available as a pigtail or technician repair terminal. At least not that I can find...

The search continues!

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, maybe for a regular f150? Have you been over to the f150 forum? Just throwing out ideas. I went through a similar deal awhile back and finally found the connectors I needed on the Bosch website, it can be frustrating, good luck.

OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, maybe for a regular f150? Have you been over to the f150 forum? Just throwing out ideas. I went through a similar deal awhile back and finally found the connectors I needed on the Bosch website, it can be frustrating, good luck.

Yeah from what I can find all 2010-14 F-150's use the same fuse box and main wire harness for the same engines. I sent Svtweb a PM to see if he found anything like this during his project.

If anyone can tell he how to tag a user like Yukon Joe did that would be cool! I'm a newb ;-)