Using A CO2 Tank to Quickly Inflate Tires, Operate Air Tools & More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I have a PowerTank, both 10 and 15lbs. using the 10 lber in my rock crawler for 4yrs, great addition.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
While we're finalizing the selection of products it would be very helpful to know how many of you are interested in having a portable, very fast, cost-effective CO2 tank option. I expect the basic combo will be under $200 not including shipping (BIG SAVINGS!). By the way, these tanks can also be used to power air tools (BONUS).

So, are you interested in a CO2 setup for fast tire inflation?
What would the "basic combo" consist of? I am interested, but not sure when I would make a purchase.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
10 is a good size for in the truck. plenty of air also.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always used a Nitrogen bottle in my race trailer to run air tools. Doesn't CO2 freeze up air tools pretty quickly? Not important for occasional emergency use but if you plan on using air tools a lot it might be worth looking into.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark I was just talking about a Nitrogen approach with a friend, but we weren't sure on what specific requirements that would require over CO2. Any thoughts/links/suggestions/comments? Maybe worth starting a new thread if its different enough?

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark I was just talking about a Nitrogen approach with a friend, but we weren't sure on what specific requirements that would require over CO2. Any thoughts/links/suggestions/comments? Maybe worth starting a new thread if its different enough?
I know with paintball N2 tanks and the SCBAs on the ship you would need an air ram to get the N2 in the tank.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kaiser, the most common tanks are 10# but some use 15#. 20 pound tanks would be good if you're working at a track or some other place where you're not carrying around a larger, much heavier tank. That said, our options will include 10#, 15# and 20# tanks!

I always used a Nitrogen bottle in my race trailer to run air tools. Doesn't CO2 freeze up air tools pretty quickly? Not important for occasional emergency use but if you plan on using air tools a lot it might be worth looking into.

From Powertank's website (why CO2 vs. nitrogen?): "Volume". CO2 will give you three times the energy of Nitrogen in a given tank size. Having one tank of CO2 is like carrying three tanks of nitrogen. This makes it more economical and means that you?ll have the power when you need it all in one small tank.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
CO2 powered air tools - here's info from one website (you can Google others):

<LI class=section itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="1">Pneumatic Pressure

Air tools use compressed gas to run through pneumatic pressure. Pneumatics is the application of pressurized gas to move machinery and requires strong pipes, specific valves and carefully regulated tanks of compressed gas. When the gas is released into areas of lower pressure, it quickly expands to fill this space and equalize the pressure between the two areas. This expansion is used to move machinery: the more advanced versions can lift or push with specific amounts of force, while the simple versions use only a quick burst of pressurized gas to accomplish an easy task, such as propelling a nail (in case of an gas-powered nail gun) or a pellet (in an air gun).

Compressing CO2

Even though they are referred to as air tools, air is made of several different gases and is not the only substance used to power pneumatic devices. Another popular option is CO2, or pure carbon dioxide gas compressed and stored for use with air tools. CO2 is considered safe and easy to use and has no toxic properties harmful to organisms and no corrosive properties that could damage surrounding metal. Since its expansion and pressurization qualities are similar to air, CO2 can be used in a variety of pneumatic devices.

CO2 is first harvested in its pure form. Industrially, this often means extracting CO2 from the air or other substances, often by condensing it into a liquid through temperature control. The pure CO2 is then run through a series of compressors, which will force the gas molecules closer and closer together. As these molecules draw near each, they will vibrate more closely and generate more heat, the energy of the gas being squeezed into a smaller and smaller form. Once the gas has been compressed to a specific point (depending on the manufacturer's needs), it is pumped into tanks and sold.

Using CO2

CO2 tanks can be used for a variety of applications. Generally, small tanks are for air guns and air-operated hand-held tools, and large tanks are used for larger air tools and reinflating tires. These tanks are made out of processed aluminum and designed to be very strong and resistant to accidents that could cause the CO2 to release unexpectedly and explode outward. The pressure of these tanks is measured in psi, or pounds per square inch, and is released through a valve at the top of the tank, where the gas flow is monitored by dials. How much gas is released and how quickly it moves depends on size of the hose attached. Smaller hoses are used to fill tires and other slower processes, while larger hoses are used for quick bursts of the gas.

CO2 is considered to be more efficient and perform better than most other pneumatic options. The alternative is a compressor, which compresses surrounding air to be used as a pressurized gas instead. This is not as reliable, but a compressor never needs refills, while CO2 tanks can run dry.

another...

The Source Air System is a high powered - high energy CO2 air system. CO2 is filled as a liquid and evaporates to gas through the regulator and out the hose to the tire. As more gas is consumed, more liquid evaporates into a gaseous state, thereby generating consistent pressure. One word of warning; CO2 is very cold when it is converted from liquid to gas, not dangerously so, but it will frost the regulator, and with prolonged use, will frost an air tool as well. We ran our impact gun non-stop for two minutes, but the frost never affected its operation, nor did we get a drop in pressure or have to wait for an air compressor to catch up. If you need to run air tools for a prolonged period though, we would suggest you wear gloves.

http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/Pr...ies/TheSourceCO2System/tabid/124/Default.aspx