Used truck... How to tell if plugs have been changed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newb question I'm sure... Not sure if my plugs have been changed (almost 95,000 miles) and wondering if there is a way to tell? Been reading the posts about how big of a PIA the job is and was hoping that they've already been changed out. Maybe just pulling one of the plugs and giving it a visual inspection might indicate if they're newer? It runs/idles/accelerates smoothly so there isn't anything giving me concern other than the amount of miles currently on the truck.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There really isn't a reliable way to tell. If I don't have record of something being done on a used car, I just go ahead and do it. The job is not as bad as it's made out to be.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pull the easiest plug you can, if its not OEM you know they've been changed, if its motorcraft it will be hard to tell.

D

Deleted member 12951

Spark plugs aren’t due to be changed until 100k miles so they probably haven’t been changed.

If they were done at a Ford dealership, then any dealership can pull the work order on what has been done.

Reaction score
Get the original ones out now, use anti-seize on new plug threads only !!! I have a 2011 6.2, which has 16 plugs, also upgraded to Granatelli zero OHM wires for the lower plugs. Scott

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, when I buy used vehicles over 50k. I spend a decent penny on getting it back to tip top shape internally.

Plugs
Filters
Tires
Fluids