Used market remains strong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCorsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the used market is even stronger that it was a few months ago. I have a 2022 platinum on order that I was able to get 3% under invoice on. New truck gets here hopefully in Jan/feb but the dealer is telling me ford is still having a lot of trouble producing trucks.

Regardless I figured I would repost my truck for sale (a 2019 loaded ruby red with about 13,000 miles) for 78,000. Within a week I had every local dealer offering me $. The high was $71,000 the low was 67,000. One very odd deal was 69,500 and they would split the profits of any sale 50%.

Anyway I then got a private buyer who called and needed a truck before the end of the year presumably for his business and a year end expense. He offered me $75,000 which I accepted. He wired me the money the next morning and flew up with his wife last night and picked up the truck.

Anyway figured these details could help those thinking of selling. Btw I was never able to list the truck here as the admin would never respond about giving me listing privileges? So I listed on Autotrader for $49.

Few odd scams out there (the newest one is asking for a fake carfax report that costs you $20 and I guess they send these requests to thousands of people a day). Had one full one identity thief reach out. Found the real guy in the hospital who said this con man had been steeling using his full ID for 2 years. Crazy!

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the used market is even stronger that it was a few months ago. I have a 2022 platinum on order that I was able to get 3% under invoice on. New truck gets here hopefully in Jan/feb but the dealer is telling me ford is still having a lot of trouble producing trucks.

Regardless I figured I would repost my truck for sale (a 2019 loaded ruby red with about 13,000 miles) for 78,000. Within a week I had every local dealer offering me $. The high was $71,000 the low was 67,000. One very odd deal was 69,500 and they would split the profits of any sale 50%.

Anyway I then got a private buyer who called and needed a truck before the end of the year presumably for his business and a year end expense. He offered me $75,000 which I accepted. He wired me the money the next morning and flew up with his wife last night and picked up the truck.

Anyway figured these details could help those thinking of selling. Btw I was never able to list the truck here as the admin would never respond about giving me listing privileges? So I listed on Autotrader for $49.

Few odd scams out there (the newest one is asking for a fake carfax report that costs you $20 and I guess they send these requests to thousands of people a day). Had one full one identity thief reach out. Found the real guy in the hospital who said this con man had been steeling using his full ID for 2 years. Crazy!

I agree about strong sales but why would you give up a Raptor for a Platinum. The massaging seats? Plats are nice trucks but they are regular F150s with a lot of options. I think you will find that the used market for your new truck not near as strong as it has been for the Raptor. I have owned several Ford trucks and the only one not to depreciate heavily are the Raptors. Gen 1s and Gen 2s hold their values.

The Gen 3 are nice, but IMO this whole chip thing is nothing more than to escalate the demise of the ICE motors.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I agree about strong sales but why would you give up a Raptor for a Platinum. The massaging seats? Plats are nice trucks but they are regular F150s with a lot of options. I think you will find that the used market for your new truck not near as strong as it has been for the Raptor. I have owned several Ford trucks and the only one not to depreciate heavily are the Raptors. Gen 1s and Gen 2s hold their values.

The Gen 3 are nice, but IMO this whole chip thing is nothing more than to escalate the demise of the ICE motors.
you should see the used market for super duty trucks. In may I got 8K over what I paid for my 19 ( OTD too). Got my 21 on z plan. I've gotten multiple offers for the 21 unsolicited. Most have been 10-12K over sticker for it. The used market is stupid.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you should see the used market for super duty trucks. In may I got 8K over what I paid for my 19 ( OTD too). Got my 21 on z plan. I've gotten multiple offers for the 21 unsolicited. Most have been 10-12K over sticker for it. The used market is stupid.

Yes, I know I about laughed my local dealer out when they sold a Gen 2 2019 Raptor with 27k miles for 75 thousand. I realize what the used market is and it effects all specialty vehicles. They all sell for stupid money unless you try to trade them in. The F250 is just someones pee pee contest as they are not comfortable, get horrible gas mileage, cost 3-5 times to maintain and rack up miles like a pin ball machine. All the while depreciating at 15-20k per year. At least you can say I have a 1000 ft lbs. of torque. Very few buyers of the Super duty actually use them for what they are intended which is haul stuff.

I am holding on to my 2018 Gen 2 which I gave 57k for with 20 thousand miles early in 2020. The market is just to crazy until Hyper inflation gets under control. With supply issues and the continued pandemic issues, I feel like things will never come back around. If I want to buy a new truck then I will order something new. That is the only way to get what you want.

I asked them if they are paying cash for these trucks and they laughed said banks approve them. I was like okay when interest rates rise which they will and this crap comes tumbling down which it will. It will be EPIC.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
someone's pee pee contest? wut?

My F250 is by far the best road trip vehicle that I've ever had. When not pulling a trailer, I get 20-22 mpg with cruise set at 78 mph. With the s&b tank, I tend to get 1220 miles per tank. plus its like driving a living room inside.

My 250 costs considerably less to maintain when compared to my raptor.

All that and i still get 12ish mpg when towing my raptor on the trailer.

a super duty is the most expensive raptor mod.

I'm just waiting for the super car market to start to retract again like it did in 08. I am a glutton for punishment and want another white, flying-mirror testarossa.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
someone's pee pee contest? wut?

My F250 is by far the best road trip vehicle that I've ever had. When not pulling a trailer, I get 20-22 mpg with cruise set at 78 mph. With the s&b tank, I tend to get 1220 miles per tank. plus its like driving a living room inside.

My 250 costs considerably less to maintain when compared to my raptor.

All that and i still get 12ish mpg when towing my raptor on the trailer.

a super duty is the most expensive raptor mod.

I'm just waiting for the super car market to start to retract again like it did in 08. I am a glutton for punishment and want another white, flying-mirror testarossa.

Okay Sonny Crockett, I would be happy with a T spec GTR which I plan to make a stab at soon although the wifey would probably have a cow. I like diesels but come on 120-150 dollar oil changes and rebuilding fuel systems at 10-15 grand a pop at 100-150 thousand miles is no ones ideas of fun. You have to be super careful at the diesel stations you stop into.

OP
OP
RCorsa

RCorsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sure - a white TR would be sick as those prices are insane right now. I was just offered 290k for my 2021 turbo s cab (245 MSRP) from an out of state Ferrari dealer as I really wanted a F8 as this is the last year of non hybrid engines. Problem was they wanted 70k over sticker for a lightly used one and I anticipate the same 08 crash you describe. Therefore I just ordered a 2022 F8 from my local dealer (as Ferrari prohibits dealers from selling new cars over MSRP) but I’ll have to wait 6-9 months.

As to why I sold. I loved the look and feel of the raptor but I want a truck that can do truck stuff but also need to tow my incoming wake boat from time to time and it’s 10,000lbs with the trailer. I know a 250 would be better for than all around but I’m talking about 2-3 short local trips/year but the 8,000 limit on the raptor was just not a good idea as it’s dangerous and could be in deep if something bad happened (this just happened in Tahoe)

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
For sure - a white TR would be sick as those prices are insane right now. I was just offered 290k for my 2021 turbo s cab (245 MSRP) from an out of state Ferrari dealer as I really wanted a F8 as this is the last year of non hybrid engines. Problem was they wanted 70k over sticker for a lightly used one and I anticipate the same 08 crash you describe. Therefore I just ordered a 2022 F8 from my local dealer (as Ferrari prohibits dealers from selling new cars over MSRP) but I’ll have to wait 6-9 months.

As to why I sold. I loved the look and feel of the raptor but I want a truck that can do truck stuff but also need to tow my incoming wake boat from time to time and it’s 10,000lbs with the trailer. I know a 250 would be better for than all around but I’m talking about 2-3 short local trips/year but the 8,000 limit on the raptor was just not a good idea as it’s dangerous and could be in deep if something bad happened (this just happened in Tahoe)
an f-250 with a carli pintop kit on it will do most of what a pre-gen3 raptor will do, sans jumping it. Food for thought I guess. There is a company doing cams, heads, and a supercharger for the godzilla V8s that put them at about 1000-1100hp to the wheels.

As for the TR that I had... I bought it for 68K with 2344 miles on it. The guy that bought it sold it last year with 5300 miles on it for 230ish. no way would i buy that car for over 130ish. just not worth it.

bigdave18629

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well I now know what mine is worth, same truck, color and miles. What dealer sold you the platinum under invoice.?