UPR Catch Can Amounts at 5K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattrofact

Reaction score
Anyone with the catch can that can report on blow by amounts during an oil change interval?

At my 5K oil change and 10k just now I’ve had about a couple drops. Drops, not even enough to fill the bottom of a plastic water bottle. Checked the lines to make sure they are installed correctly twice now and nothing...

Gcode450

Reaction score
Anyone with the catch can that can report on blow by amounts during an oil change interval?

At my 5K oil change and 10k just now I’ve had about a couple drops. Drops, not even enough to fill the bottom of a plastic water bottle. Checked the lines to make sure they are installed correctly twice now and nothing...

Same here.... nothing much at all. Waste of $$$.... maybe? IDK. But this is the reason I am taking the UPR off and replacing the stock inlet tube with the AMS Turbo Inlet Tube kit. If I decide to go with a catch can again it will be with Mishimoto's setup. No hole to drill!

Keith Buckman

Reaction score
The catch can is doing its job. Mine is about 5-10% full for oil changes. You should really change your oil every 2,500-3,000 with these trucks to be honest (you’ll prevent any unnecessary damage). The catch can also helps relieve crankcase pressure as well.

btw, if installed correctly, you should be catching some vapor liquid as well.

Thanks!
Keith

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the UPR dual valve at 500 miles. At 1k changed to full syn and had zero oil. At 5k oil change had about 1oz. I'm at 9800 and just checked it and had about 2 oz You'll get more as the engine breaks in and is perfectly normal. The catch cans aren't required but is a good peace of mind mod over the long haul. Anyone who thinks that preventing 2 oz or more of oily gunk from entering their intake is a bad thing...well...take their opinion for what it is. Also, Having a valve system makes sure you are collecting even under boost as opposed to the old single valve systems that weren't designed for turbo charged engines.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Winter gas and choice of oil will give you that.
When I switched to Mobil 1 Extended Performance I get less quarter of that amount in the winter months.

This is about 5 years worth.
Very little oil, mostly crap for additives in fuel, especially that 10% Ethanol water producing crap.
And mostly all from the winter months.
In the summer a get a table spoon or so after a 1,000 miles.

IMG_20140915_182327_182.jpg

Last edited:

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The catch can is doing its job. Mine is about 5-10% full for oil changes. You should really change your oil every 2,500-3,000 with these trucks to be honest (you’ll prevent any unnecessary damage). The catch can also helps relieve crankcase pressure as well.

btw, if installed correctly, you should be catching some vapor liquid as well.

Thanks!
Keith
2500-3000 miles? That is absolutely ridiculous. Do you have any proven data to support this? If so I'm highly interested

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For anyone interested in a catch can please feel free to contact us for a quote. We offer many brands and highly recommend UPR or JLT.