Upper radiator hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TuxedoScrew13

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but couldn’t find much on it so I’ll ask. (2013 6.2) My upper radiator hose needs replaced. Lower still looks fine. Very tutorial I’ve seen recommends draining the coolant before you do this, but most are replacing both hoses. In my case I’m just doing the upper, and I can’t imagine I’ll lose too much fluid swapping the hose, so is draining the radiator necessary? Also if I do need to top off, is any parts store orange 50/50 coolant ok or does it have to be motorcraft?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There will be a decent amount of fluid loss, so just have a drain pan under it while you disconnect it. No need to drain the whole system. Although it should be noted that the coolant in Gen 1 trucks is only rated for 5 years, so if it’s original then it’s well past time to have it fully drained refilled. Might as well replace the thermostat and both hoses at the same time since they’re 10 years old.

Ford specifically warns against using the generic parts store “all makes all models” coolant. The spec for your truck Motorcraft Orange, however it has been replaced by Motorcraft Yellow. So if you can find Orange that’s good, but if not you can use Yellow.